News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Figure fixing help.

Started by Brocc21, March 10, 2019, 01:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brocc21

So bad news. I had my Safari feathered rex in my kitchen today when it fell of my counter and broke his foot. Now I have all the process but I can't find a small chunk of plastic. I hopefully I can find it or just get a knew rex. But If I can't is was thinking about fixing it with some clay. So could he survive an oven for 10-15 minuets? Thanks!
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

stargatedalek

Almost certainly would not survive. You could try removing the clay after fitting it to shape, cooking it on its own and then gluing it in place. Though I recommend buying air-dry clay of some sort.

If it's a very small hole you can try filling it using hot glue, just be sure to place it on a popsicle stick or something similar first as the metal nozzle will damage the dinosaur.

Brocc21

"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Digibasherx

Pretty sure the green putty will work instead of clay. https://www.amazon.com/Green-Stuff-Yellow-Epoxy-Putty/dp/B002MB61RQ.  No baking required.  probably best to hand drill and pin the foot, super glue and then fill the gaps with the green stuff.

Here's how to pin your model

http://axesandarrows.blogspot.com/2013/06/how-to-pin-miniatures.html

Tyto_Theropod

Epoxy putty is exactly what I was about to recommend. My personal choice is Milliput, because I find it easier to work with than Green Stuff, but that's just my opinion. You could also try air-drying clay, but I doubt it would stick the pieces together as firmly as epoxy would.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Doug Watson

Hey there avatar_Brocc21 @Brocc21 ,
I'm the guy that sculpted the T rex and I am sorry for your mishap. As avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek  said  DO NOT put it in your oven unless you want a T rex puddle. As D @Digibasherx and avatar_Tyto_Theropod @Tyto_Theropod  have said epoxy putty is the best choice to fix the missing bits. I use Magic Sculpt to sculpt the originals and it works also for repairs and modifications. You can get small containers of it but if you can't find a local source Milliput can usually be found in most Hobby Shops. Also if the foot is completely off pinning is a great idea if you have an old metal coat hanger lying around the thickness and stiffness of that wire works well. To figure out where to drill your holes put a dot of acrylic paint in the center of one piece, line the two parts up exactly as possible then press the two parts together, now you will have two dots one on each side showing you where to drill. Use 5-minute epoxy or cyanoacrylate glue to attach the pieces. glueing one end of the wire in one piece first will help you in the assembly. Running some glue down the holes for the wire will add to the strength but if you are using cyanoacrylate work fast. Once your glue has set you can now sculpt the missing bit with epoxy putty. Once that is cured use water based acrylic paint to blend to the original colours. Good luck and don't hesitate to PM me if you have any other questions.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.