You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Las Vegas Museum of Natural History

Started by suspsy, March 04, 2013, 07:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

http://www.lvnhm.org/

I visited this museum the first time I was in Vegas 17 years ago. Naturally, I wasn't about to check it out a second time this past weekend. As you can see from the site, the small museum houses a pretty decent collection of local wildlife, African wildlife, live fish, and Egyptian artifacts, but I only photographed the prehistoric animals.

An outdated skull of Deinosuchus.

IMG_5754_zpsefc31ffe by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

A pretty good Tiktaalik.

IMG_5761_zps311b22c6 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Acanthostega and Dipocaulus.

IMG_5762_zps4ee2565b by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Dimetrodons.

IMG_5763_zpsdedc156c by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Allosaurus with pronated wrists.

IMG_5764_zps1f82b874 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

A rather ugly Euoplocephalus with its young.

IMG_5765_zpse5be1be3 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Hatching Camarasaurus.

IMG_5766_zps0530d5fd by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Featherless Troodon, tsk tsk!

IMG_5767_zps492ac9b6 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Triceratops.

IMG_5768_zps8dbe43c8 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Tyrannosaurus rex.

IMG_5769_zps824b8d1a by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Feathered and non-feathered Deinonychus.

IMG_5771_zps1551eb37 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Austrolopithecus afarensis.

IMG_5755_zps1d4bda42 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Homo habilus.

IMG_5758_zpsaa6ffc43 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Homo erectus.

IMG_5759_zps82c9be85 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

In addition to dinosaurs and hominids, there's a small room containing extinct mammal fossils such as a Smilodon, an ancient bison, and various skulls. Should've taken at least one photo of it, sorry. Oh, and there was a small Shonisaurus fossil, but the lighting was too poor to take a good photo.

I do recommend visiting this museum if you're ever in Las Vegas. For its size, it's nice. And we should all be doing our part to support prehistoric education!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

ZoPteryx

Looks like a pretty cool place.  I've gotta say though, the expression on the feathered Deinonychus's face is hilarious! :))

tyrantqueen

That feathered Deinonychus is utterly hideous  :-X And I love how all the theropods have zombie hands :P

CityRaptor

The feathered Deinonychus reminds me of Nicolas Cage:

I would say those are clearly older models. New enough to not be tripods, but clearly older models.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

suspsy

The Triceratops and the Tyrannosaurus rex were there 17 years ago. The rest were added since.

I give the museum points for including the likes of Tiktaalik.

suspsy

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.