You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

"How plastic dinosaurs are made" Smithsonian article + video

Started by dpepinmarquette, September 02, 2016, 01:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpepinmarquette

I found this article from Smithsonian showing how plastic dinosaur toys are made. It has footage from the Schleich factory showing the process from start to finish.  I couldn't find it posted anywhere else here so if it already has been Sorry about that.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/how-plastic-toy-dinosaurs-are-made-180955753/?no-ist

CityRaptor

Well, the video has been posted several times by now. But I think it is the first time there is an article.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Libraraptor

They seem to have an army of well paid sculptors and artists at Schleich, and yet they mostly donĀ“t manage to do accurate figures.

CityRaptor

Well, what do you expect when they use Jurassic Park and google image search pics as a references?

Speaking of Schleich not being entirely original:

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

BlueKrono

Great video! Gives me ideas of how to make my own. After all, that's how a lot of paleoartists and even taxidermists get their start - they look at someone else's product and think to themselves, "I could do better than that!"
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

pylraster

Saw that video months ago, and it's really informative. For Schleich, I think the sculptors' talent is there, just sucks that they have to follow a very bad design. No wonder that T.rex's tail was short - the artist tried to fit the drawing on a normal bond paper. :P

DC

Unless there has been a change this is the same factory Safari ltd uses. A big technology change has been the injection molds many older molds are not useable with the modern injection mold machines.  Somewhere out on YouTube there is a Safari video I think from the same factory on how figures are hand painted.

Nice post thanks Randy
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Neosodon

I wish I could find one for collecta. I don't think collecta's models are hand painted. I'm curious how they paint them.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.