News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dippy in Dorchester

Started by UK, February 23, 2018, 10:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UK

A very tight fit but dippy has started her tour of the U.K. First up the historic county town of Dorset, Dorchester. Was lovely to see her in her full glory (I'm assuming it's a she). Just a shame no commissioned figure other than a soft toy was on offer.

PlesiosaurusNessy

What for a wonderful presentation for a superbe old dinosaur lady! Dippy is really a gem and excellent restored, a very very
interesting skeleton! "She" looks fantastic, what for an enormous very l o o o o n g  tail, really impressive!
Excellent photos of her in a perfect historic town hall, really super! Cool photos of you, UK!
I like the old printing with the Pliosaurs,Pteranodons and Plesiosaurs,too. Not "very friendly" from the pliosaur,that he wants
to cut the neck of the plesiosaur...
A wonderful painting of the Diplodocus(es)! Really a very interesting exhibition for "Dippy"!
Paleontology: Science for the love to dinosaurs!

Neosodon

The museum here in Utah has a massive entry way that is completely empty. Maybe you could send it on a permanent tour over here. ;)

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Lanthanotus

Thanks for sharing, UK. Dippy's the skeleton that used to be in the entrance of NHM in London, isn't it? Those last two paintings... are those Mark Witton's work?

PhilSauria

Great shots. That is one impressive Sauropod that you really have to be standing underneath to get the full impression of how just large these animals grew! I count myself fortunate that I was able to vist Dippy in her original home when we were in London three years ago and stayed in Kensington, just around the block from the Museum.

stegosauria

It could be nice to watch her head so closely.

Unfortunately I couldn't see her in London and won't in Dorchester too (maybe later I can) but I saw her twin in the Naturhistorishes Museum in Vienna. They are casts of the same skeleton as some others in Europe (Carnegie donated them to monarchs). It's a shame that Hungary existed at the time as Austro-Hungarian Monarchy- Franz Joseph got a cast but that of course remained in Vienna.
But I think their most interesting displayed item is the skeleton of a Steller's sea cow.

I know Dippy will be on a tour for two years but after it what will happen to her? She will be back in London?

Jose S.M.

Dippy is very impressive, I would love to see her or another big sauropod sometime, I've only seen a Camarasaurus leg hehehe. Thanks for the photos!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.