News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

La Zoo Dino-Statue

Started by Loon, January 22, 2017, 04:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

I recently took a trip to the LA Zoo (I'm not just interested in dead animals); and the thing that stuck out to me, aside from all the living dinosaurs, and my closest living relatives fighting over fruit (damn chimps), was this statue:

It appears to be some sort of spinosaur, not sure which one, and to my eyes, it looked pretty well done. But, I'm not sure; so, if anyone could help me identify this dinosaur, it would be very much appreciated.

Takama

Thats an old Dinamation suchomimus

Blade-of-the-Moon

Small correction it's a Dinamation Baryonyx converted into a Suchomimus by Billings.   That's really odd for it to be there outside of an exhibit unless it's broken awaiting factory retrieval or they bought it?

http://www.lazoo.org/dinosaurslosangeleszoo/

looks like their last exhibit went out in October.

Loon

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 22, 2017, 04:19:09 PM
Small correction it's a Dinamation Baryonyx converted into a Suchomimus by Billings.   That's really odd for it to be there outside of an exhibit unless it's broken awaiting factory retrieval or they bought it?

http://www.lazoo.org/dinosaurslosangeleszoo/

looks like their last exhibit went out in October.
Yeah, the Dinosaurs: Unextinct at the LA Zoo exhibition, was closed. Stangley there was still a section of the gift shop dedicated to dinosaur merchandise (which included a multi-hundred dollar T.rex skeleton statue, with arms the size of its legs), and there were little metal sculptures of a spinosaurus and triceratops hidden in bushes (didn't get pictures of them, though). But, the baryonyx/suchomimus statue was the only one of these detailed "exhibit-style" statues. 

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Loon on January 22, 2017, 06:14:32 PM
Yeah, the Dinosaurs: Unextinct at the LA Zoo exhibition, was closed. Stangley there was still a section of the gift shop dedicated to dinosaur merchandise (which included a multi-hundred dollar T.rex skeleton statue, with arms the size of its legs), and there were little metal sculptures of a spinosaurus and triceratops hidden in bushes (didn't get pictures of them, though). But, the baryonyx/suchomimus statue was the only one of these detailed "exhibit-style" statues.

Eh, I think it's typical of zoos to be a bit lazy at clean-up with these sorts of things. There was a Dinomation style traveling exhibit at the Dallas Zoo two years ago, and there's still dinosaur footprints on all the sidewalks everywhere. There were still a few Safari dinos in the gift shop until a couple months ago, as well. (Sadly, only models I already owned.)

Derek.McManus

It's a nice statue and such things help to brighten places like zoos up and provide a talking point for children! Good photo opportunity too!

Blade-of-the-Moon

If you return on a trip I'd ask about it.   It isn't really statue if it's an animatronic, they aren't built for permanent outdoor display. Sun, rain and other elements will rot the foam backed latex skin.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.