News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Viking Spawn's Cicada Book

Started by Viking Spawn, March 13, 2017, 06:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking Spawn

Wow! Its been a while since I posted here! Well, I've been keeping myself busy with my real job and my newest hobby at being an author! My first book, "The Season of the Cicadas" has been released and is now available at many online sources! So far, reactions from people who have purchased it has been positive!  :)

I'm currently working on my second book based on the Praying Mantis which will be released next year! After that, who knows...

Sorry for being such a stranger of late. I need to check in more often. Haven't bought much lately either, so I'll be needing to catch up on collecting too!   :-X

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Viking Spawn

Its about cicadas found in Eastern North America, including the famous 17 year cicada.  It contains over a hundred life cycle photographs I compiled over the years as well as everything needed to know about them.  Its easy reading for the middle school students and adults.  Here is the book synopsis: 

When we think of summer, we think of dry hot weather, all things green, and the serenades of insects. Among those serenading, none are more vibrant or boisterous than that of the 17 year cicada and their analogous annual cousins.

The sudden appearance of millions of red eyed wonders is one of the most fascinating phenomena in the entire natural world! No creatures are more remarkable nor have as much impact during the season of the cicada!

In this book the reader will learn about the life histories of these incredible bugs, their relationships with animals and the environment, and perhaps come to appreciate both them and nature itself.

BlueKrono

Awesome. I love hemipterans. Does it have anything on leafhoppers, or is it solely cicadas?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Viking Spawn

Cicadas only.  I may delve into other insects for future ideas.  My next book project will be about the praying mantis. 

Newt

Way to go, VS! Glad to see you've put all those great cicada photos to good use.

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Viking Spawn on March 14, 2017, 07:10:50 AM
Cicadas only.  I may delve into other insects for future ideas.  My next book project will be about the praying mantis.
I have had a lot of pet praying mantids. My most resent was a female Giant Rainforest Mantis. She died of molting complications.

Cloud the Dinosaur King

This year in South Carolina there will be an outbreak of these cicadas. I am so excited about it. I have been waiting for at least 3 years.

Viking Spawn

Quote from: Newt on March 14, 2017, 12:41:26 PM
Way to go, VS! Glad to see you've put all those great cicada photos to good use.

Thanks Newt!  The book also contains plenty of new images from last summer too!  Especially from Brood V!

Viking Spawn

Quote from: Cloud the Dinosaur King on March 14, 2017, 01:08:33 PM
This year in South Carolina there will be an outbreak of these cicadas. I am so excited about it. I have been waiting for at least 3 years.

I bet that will be fun for you!  Last year was Ohio's big brood (Brood V) where they were emerging in mass less than 30 minutes from me!  Your Brood is Brood VI which will also include Georgia and North Carolina.  We are also expecting a small emergence of them this spring in the Cincinnati area too.

I have a  list of Brood maps on my website.   ;)

http://www.magicicada.net/brood-maps

Sorry to hear about your mantis pet.   :(

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Viking Spawn on March 14, 2017, 04:32:07 PM
Quote from: Cloud the Dinosaur King on March 14, 2017, 01:08:33 PM

I bet that will be fun for you!  Last year was Ohio's big brood (Brood V) where they were emerging in mass less than 30 minutes from me!  Your Brood is Brood VI which will also include Georgia and North Carolina.  We are also expecting a small emergence of them this spring in the Cincinnati area too.

I have a  list of Brood maps on my website.   ;)

http://www.magicicada.net/brood-maps

Sorry to hear about your mantis pet.   :(
Yeah, I had her for 6 months. She was an L2 when I got her. She died when she was full grown:(

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.