News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Large feathered toys?

Started by JurassicGardens, March 03, 2017, 06:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JurassicGardens

Hi all,

I wonder if you can help. Does anybody know of any large (almost life size) toys of some of the smaller feathered dinosaurs like microraptor or jeholornis? Or any toys of small feathered dinosaurs that are at least quite substantial in size?

I'm setting up a kind of museum in my garden about the relationship between dinosaurs and birds and I'd like some models to really show visitors exactly how birdlike some of the dinosaurs looked.

Many thanks in advance!

RobinGoodfellow

...well, you are talking about 75/80 cm figures ( 30 inches ) if in life-size dimension: there aren't toys in that size about feathered dinosaurs.
I don't even know about resin kits in 1:1..
Maybe you can contact an artist for a commission: there are many on the Forum.

If you want feathered figures (not in life-size), here a list (just click on picture to see info):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157668241437076

:)

Blade-of-the-Moon

I assume non modern avians..heh   

There was a  1:1 Archeopteryx by Dinostoreus but it's discontinued now.  You could get the 1:1 Compsognathus they sell and add feathers with Apoxie Sculpt like I did.  Sadly there are too few 1:1 smaller( affordable) pieces out there.  If you want pterosaurs CollectAs Guidraco and upcoming Dimorphodon would suffice as smaller sub-adults.

Patrx

I really wish there were more big models/figures of small dinosaurs, especially feathered ones, but sadly, they're pretty uncommon. All I can think of right now is the PalaeoPlushies Microraptor.

stargatedalek

If you have access to a 3D printer or can afford Shapeways, I've made a few large-ish feathered dinosaurs that I can send you but you'll have to have them printed yourself. I'm not a professional 3D modeller, they're actually made from "Frankensteined" birds.

Shapeways doesn't offer it, but ABS printing material is what's generally used for outdoor products.

Justin_

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 03, 2017, 08:18:57 PM
I've made a few large-ish feathered dinosaurs
Do you have pictures of these we can see?

stargatedalek

Quote from: Justin_ on March 08, 2017, 07:43:30 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on March 03, 2017, 08:18:57 PM
I've made a few large-ish feathered dinosaurs
Do you have pictures of these we can see?
Not printed, they're only models at the moment.

Everything should be on my Thingiverse:
http://www.thingiverse.com/stargatedalek/designs

Mirroraptor

I'm worried about the details of feathers-sculpt.
I have seen some large-scale feathered dinosaur models, for example, a 1/5 scale feathered Deinonychus, but  they don't satisfy me at the details.

microraptorgui

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on March 03, 2017, 07:36:55 PM
...well, you are talking about 75/80 cm figures ( 30 inches ) if in life-size dimension: there aren't toys in that size about feathered dinosaurs.

If you want feathered figures (not in life-size), here a list (just click on picture to see info):

Wow, I checked out your link. That is quite a collection, Robin!!!
I sell original dinosaur art on canvas, shirts, dresses, stickers, phone covers, and a whole bunch of other stuff!
Check it out at www.redbubble.com/people/microraptorgui/shop!

btb300

Quote from: microraptorgui on March 09, 2017, 04:29:57 AM

I totally agree, this is impressive.

Quote from: Mirroraptor on March 09, 2017, 03:32:27 AM
I have seen some large-scale feathered dinosaur models, for example, a 1/5 scale feathered Deinonychus, but  they don't satisfy me at the details.
This is an interesting problem, what are you exactly looking for in terms of the feather details? With samll figures I think what often happens is, that the surface detail and the pinting together are attempted to convey a certain appearance, it would be deifficult to reproduce them individually. However, on larger figures different rules would apply.
Inevitably, underlying instabilities begin to appear.

Blade-of-the-Moon

You really can't see much detail on bird feathers  from a certain distance anyway.  Most appear smooth.  You could alter taxidermy forms or faux birds used for hunting.   

Does anyone sell skulls/head replicas for Microraptor , Archeopteryx, ect? Like a blank you could insert eyes in and sculpt over would be great. An actual skull replica is pricey to do that with.

Mirroraptor

Quote from: btb300 on March 09, 2017, 03:47:45 PM
Quote from: microraptorgui on March 09, 2017, 04:29:57 AM

I totally agree, this is impressive.

Quote from: Mirroraptor on March 09, 2017, 03:32:27 AM
This is an interesting problem, what are you exactly looking for in terms of the feather details? With samll figures I think what often happens is, that the surface detail and the pinting together are attempted to convey a certain appearance, it would be deifficult to reproduce them individually. However, on larger figures different rules would apply.
I mean many of them seems not like feathers, they are just many messy notch, seems stiff and rigid, or seems more like Godzilla's skin or something else.
It's very difficult for feather sculpting, in any event.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 09, 2017, 03:56:12 PM
Does anyone sell skulls/head replicas for Microraptor , Archeopteryx, ect? Like a blank you could insert eyes in and sculpt over would be great. An actual skull replica is pricey to do that with.
That's basically the technique I've been using, PM me and I can throw together a basic tutorial or something.

Blade-of-the-Moon

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.