News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Primer recommendations

Started by Tyto_Theropod, January 04, 2017, 10:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyto_Theropod

Far later than I should have, I've decided to start priming my repaints. The reason I was reluctant before was mainly because I'd had an allergic reaction when I'd last tried and my hands mad swollen up. Therefore, I think spray-on would be my pest bet. So I'd like to know what other members of the forum use and where I can get it, etc. Thanks!

- Tyto

PS: for those who are interested, I'm sorry for the lack of new posts on my customs thread. I'm currently working in a Schleich Pentaceratops mod, but because of limited time and space progress is being very slow. I also have WS Nasutoceratops and CollectA Daxiatitan queued for repaints.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

stargatedalek

I generally don't have much use for them since I normally use water based paints which allows for significant layering with minimal detail loss, but I will sometimes use a coat of matte varnish on top of an undercoating of paint in-case I want to blend any colours on top of the base coat "manually" (which could accidentally wipe off some of the base coat) or for adding details with sharp contrast where I may need to wipe off errors. It also helps make it much easier to handle if you aren't painting it in segments. Hope that helps, I prefer Deco-art Americana, it's pretty cheap from Michael's but IDK how available it is outside of NA.

Tyto_Theropod

I too use water-based paints, but many people have said I should use primer to help them adhere. It was just a thought.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

stargatedalek

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on January 05, 2017, 11:44:56 AM
I too use water-based paints, but many people have said I should use primer to help them adhere. It was just a thought.
Putting a sealant between your undercoating and final layers will definitely help with that. It gives you a standardized surface to apply paint to and makes sure you don't accidentally need to touch up the undercoating.

copper

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on January 05, 2017, 11:44:56 AM

Yes, using primers definitely helps the paint adhere, and painting a model that hasn't been primed, you usually have to add several paint layers before the model's original colors are all covered up.

I use acrylics to paint my models. I've found the products that suit my needs: The Army Painter Colour Primers.
They have several different colored primers to choose from.

"An ingenious combination of Primer and Colour Spray in one. The Colour Primers unique formula has been designed to be used on all metal, plastic and resin miniatures and leaves a perfect finish. The extra-fine pigment and special nozzle combination makes the Colour Primers easily cover the first time. The colours are matt, making your freshly sprayed miniatures or models ready for basecoat almost right away.
Save both time and money. No need for 2 different sprays - all you need is 1 Colour Primer for perfect results.
All primers are acrylic based, matt and dries very quickly.
"

The Army Painter's Colour Primers page

The Army Painter's guide to using their Colored Primers

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.