You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Integument of Hadrosaur Crests?

Started by ZoPteryx, May 05, 2017, 01:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

Does anyone know if there have been any skin impressions found associated with hadrosaur cranial crests?  Some reconstructions depict them as seemingly being covered with cornified skin or horn while others add scales, sometimes rather large scales, such as this juvenile reconstruction:

Anyone have a solution?

Neosodon

Very good question. This is just an idea but I think they may have been covered with a thin layer of skin that they could fill with blood for display like what has been proposed for Stegosaurus.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

irimali

this post on mark witton's blog:  http://markwitton-com.blogspot.com/2015/12/dinosaur-scales-some-thoughts-for.html

shows a diagram of known skin impressions from 10 different hadrosaurs.  unfortunately none of them include crest skin :( 

Quote from: Neosodon on May 05, 2017, 01:45:38 AM
Very good question. This is just an idea but I think they may have been covered with a thin layer of skin that they could fill with blood for display like what has been proposed for Stegosaurus.

If you're right it would explain the lack of skin impressions from hadrosaur crests.  thin skin wouldn't last as long as the tougher hide covering other parts of the body.

Jose S.M.

Irimali that post was a very interesting read, thanks for sharing it.

Nanuqsaurus

>:D
Quote from: Neosodon on May 05, 2017, 01:45:38 AM

I read somewhere that Stegosaurus probably couldn't do the WWD-style blood pumping display, because the plates were covered with keratin so you wouldn't see any change in color.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.