News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Customized Chirostenotes

Started by BlueKrono, May 15, 2017, 03:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

I have a specific coloration idea in mind for Chirostenotes that I would like to apply to a figure, but I don't know of any good sculpts of this genus (there is the Dinosaur Train one, yuck!). What species/possible figure might make a good substitute?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

postsaurischian

There is Aaron Doyle's Shapeways figure. This is the older 1:12 version:

The updated version has more feathery structures and is called Anzu now:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/A4Z42XBJ9/anzu-wyliei-1-12-scale-model-update?optionId=42462313
It's also available in 1:20 and 1:40.

Fenestra

This is the 1:40 scale of the same figure I've recently bought from A. Doyle on Shapeways.
(I blatantly copied the colour scheme as you can see.)
The human figure is in 1:35 scale.

BlueKrono

That is an excellent suggestion. For the intricacy of my paint scheme I'd like to get it as large as possible, but I also want good detail on the feathers. At smaller scales the figures look grainy thanks to the imperfect 3D printing technology. The frosted detail looks great, but on the 1/20 scale that would bump the price from $30 to $73, and that's for a figure less than six inches long. Frosted detail isn't even offered on the 1/12 scale, which is the one I would prefer, and would probably be outrageously expensive if it were. So I'm kind of in a bind here over which one to get.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

danmalcolm

I find with the smaller shape ways dinos that the grainy texture helps make the figure appear fuzzier/featherier. My vociraptor and 1:40 anzu look great after being painted. I have a scaly stegoceros too and it doesn't look at all as pleasing.

danmalcolm

Sorry should have specified. In wsf.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.