You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Sharptooth (mainly) dinosaur portraits and other nice stuff

Started by Sharptooth, June 19, 2012, 01:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharptooth

Here i'll post my paleoart (many things to learn, many errors to correct, many practice to do, but yeah, you got the idea  ;D) and all the other stuff i'll draw according to my deranged mind (don't worry about the convoluted speech, it's pretty torrid here today so i'm not in perfect shape  :P), critiques and advices are gladly accepted  :)

Yutyrannus carrying a freshly killed Beipiaosaurus... Just a sketch i'd like to use for a bigger drawing.

half-lipped Suchomimus, Gregory Paul style... Not completely sold on this kind of restoration (maybe spinosaurids were lipless like crocs, maybe not) but i wanted to give it a try...

WHERE'S MY TAIL?!! Anyway, that's a Zalmoxes...

... A turkey-like Zalmoxes, i add  ;)

sorry for the bad quality of the pic  :-\
He's a Parksoasaurus, and he's scratching his head with his bigass feet (according to the skeletal i've seen, at least)  :)

"I am the eyes in the night, the silence within the wind. I am the talons through the fire."

Gwangi

Those are all really nice. I look forward to seeing more. I especially like the Yutyrannus and Parksoasaurus.

Himmapaan

These are lovely, Alessio. I think the Zalmoxes is my favourite of this batch. Looking forward to more!

Sharptooth

"I am the eyes in the night, the silence within the wind. I am the talons through the fire."

ZoPteryx

Great work Sharptooth!  It's nice to see some odd dinos like Parksosaurus! ^-^

Yutyrannus

I really like the Yutyrannus! But shouldn't he have feathers on his feet? Despite being a spinosaur-lover I don't care for that kind of look on them.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

tyrantqueen

I agree, the Yutyrannus is great :D Did you use any kind of reference when you drew these, or are they all from your head? :)

Metallisuchus

Good stuff! I'm still getting used to feathered tyrannosaurs though.

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 19, 2012, 09:54:41 PM
I really like the Yutyrannus! But shouldn't he have feathers on his feet? Despite being a spinosaur-lover I don't care for that kind of look on them.

Why would tyrannosauroids have feathered feet?  Does the fossil show direct evidence of it? 

Either way really nice job on the art Sharptooth!

Seijun

I think the yutyran looks beautiful.

According to media reports, the feet was one of the areas where protofeathers were found on the yutyran fossils, although I dont know to what extent (if it extended to the toes) or on which individual(s) it was found. But shaptooth's drawing looks to have fuzz on the feet, if you interpret "feet" as being everything below the ankles..
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Sharptooth

I stopped the (proto)feathering of Yutyrannus at the beginning of his foot fingers because, well, it looked better this way, at least in my head  ;D
And seijun is right, at least partially but his feet are indeed fuzzy  ;)

Anyway thank you all for the kind words, really!

X Tyrantqueen:

the Parksosaurus' pose is from my head... I had birds in minds when i thought of the pose, when they scratch their heads using a foot;

the Sucho's profile is based on a pic of the skull i found on flickr, changed the mouth from open to closed;

Zalmoxes... Well, Zalmoxes is partially based on the Gregory Paul's skeletal i found in the Princeton Field Guide, again i slightly changed the pose from GSP typical running to a more relaxed strutting;

the Yutyrannus' pose, especially his lower half (legs and tail), is instead based on Galileo's dueling Tarbosaurs... The upper half (arms, head, dead Beipiao) is again from my head.   :)

Gryphoceratops

I tried to get an image of the yutyrannus fossil that would give me a good view of the feet but all i can get are small pics of the whole body or large pics of the head.  Could anybody help out?

Himmapaan

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on June 20, 2012, 10:42:01 PM
I tried to get an image of the yutyrannus fossil that would give me a good view of the feet but all i can get are small pics of the whole body or large pics of the head.  Could anybody help out?

This isn't quite the fossil evidence you're looking for, but Brian Choo, who illustrated the first Yutyrannus to accompany the paper, mentioned metartarsal feathers in this piece.

Gryphoceratops

Thanks, Niroot, thats great.  So they were just on the metatarsals then not the toes.  In that case sharptooth's drawing is totally fine. 

Sharptooth

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on June 21, 2012, 05:20:51 AM
Thanks, Niroot, thats great.  So they were just on the metatarsals then not the toes.  In that case sharptooth's drawing is totally fine.

Wow, i got it right afterall!  ;D

Lady medusa

i love your parkosaurus and your tarbosaurus. i really like art of dinos that depicts them doing things like relaxing, scratching, grooming, etc because i think those a parts of the dino-life that is rarely depicted by artists.

Jetoar

I love your Yutirannus :) It is the best that I have seen :) and your Suchomimus is cool  ^-^
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.