News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Teratophoneus WIP, 1st try at sculpting

Started by andyshores, July 07, 2012, 12:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyshores

Pretty much what the subject says.  I've never sculpted before so I thought I'd give an obscure tyrannosaur a shot.  Any commentary is welcomed.

[attachment msg=13388][/attachment]

DinoToyForum

Beautiful.  8) What material are you using?

andyshores

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 07, 2012, 01:54:34 PM
Beautiful.  8) What material are you using?

Super Sculpey, the neck is just regular sculpey, but I'll probably go over that with a thin layer of SS to get better skin detail. 

I'm debating on a nose job, as I don't know that the snout is blunt enough, but between the fossils themselves and the reconstructions, I'm seeing a little wiggle room for what these guys might have looked like.

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's a species  I don't know much about that's for sure..are the teeth perhaps a little too long ? Feels a little ceratosaur-ish.

Other than that he looks nice, the expression makes me think he's pleased with himself..lol  I think you have some room to play around a bit . It's hard to tell just how flesh was there or what kind of scales or bony growths were present. Imagine restoring the human nose from just a skull..or the elephant's..heh ;)

andyshores

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 07, 2012, 05:49:51 PM
It's a species  I don't know much about that's for sure..are the teeth perhaps a little too long ? Feels a little ceratosaur-ish.

Other than that he looks nice, the expression makes me think he's pleased with himself..lol  I think you have some room to play around a bit . It's hard to tell just how flesh was there or what kind of scales or bony growths were present. Imagine restoring the human nose from just a skull..or the elephant's..heh ;)

The teeth are definitely too long, haven't gotten around to making another set - teeth are a bitch lol

Horridus

EDIT: Changed my mind.

Looks very good! Keep it up!
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

andyshores

Quote from: Horridus on July 07, 2012, 06:44:04 PM

What did you change your mind on?  Any critique is welcomed

Horridus

Quote from: andyshores on July 07, 2012, 07:53:21 PM
Oh, I thought you might have made the face a little 'hollow' for my tastes (i.e. the fenestrae are too obvious). But I don't think that's actually the case.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Himmapaan

It looks great! Looking forward to seeing this progress!

andyshores

Quote from: Horridus on July 07, 2012, 08:08:04 PM
Quote from: andyshores on July 07, 2012, 07:53:21 PM
Oh, I thought you might have made the face a little 'hollow' for my tastes (i.e. the fenestrae are too obvious). But I don't think that's actually the case.

Yeah that always seems to be a delicate balance.  Honestly I think we all end up doing that from time to time because its easier - or we grew up with too much Greg Paul influence haha

ZoPteryx

Arioch

Looking cool! Sure the teeth would stick out so much with its mouth closed though? are they that big? that doesn't even happen with T. Rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

He addressed the teeth here :)

Quote from: Arioch on July 11, 2012, 02:01:06 PM

Looking cool! Sure the teeth would stick out so much with its mouth closed though? are they that big? that doesn't even happen with T. Rex.

Quote from: andyshores on July 07, 2012, 06:22:24 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 07, 2012, 05:49:51 PM

The teeth are definitely too long, haven't gotten around to making another set - teeth are a bitch lol

Arioch

Oh...Nevermind!  :-X Didn't notice your post.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Arioch on July 11, 2012, 06:56:31 PM
Oh...Nevermind!  :-X Didn't notice your post.

No worries..it's hard to keep track sometimes..lol

Roktman

I think it look very nice, excellent for a first timer!   Keep it up.
If I had to critique anything I see the teeth start hanging out too far back in the mouth. Looks like the whole front is missing. But short of that I really like it!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.