News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Stupid cats...

Started by Seijun, July 08, 2012, 08:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seijun

There is a cat which has been trying to get into my window through the screen! I caught him in the act tonight. I was woken twice last week by what I thought were cats fighting against the side of the house under my bedroom window, but I now suspect that it was this same cat trying to jump up at the screen. There are little torn holes along the bottom of the screen that I don't remember being there before. What has me concerned is that I keep a dove inside my room. It's summer and I don't have AC, so I have to open the windows at night to let in cool air. Now I am trying to think of ways to keep this stupid cat from clawing him way into my house and eating my bird when I have my windows open! I ordered some "shake away" cat repellent, and I sprayed the area under my windows with a lemon-scented cleaner. Maybe I could also attach chicken-wire to my screens. Any other ideas?
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Roselaar

As a cat person, I'd say dump the bird and keep the cat, but I don't think that's a viable option for you.

Gwangi

I would suggest the chicken wire, that is what I was going to suggest actually but I see you also thought of that one. That should do the trick. Sounds like pretty strange behavior for a cat, I've never heard of one trying to get into a house so badly before. Maybe if you put a window fan in there that would not only block the cat but bring in cool air.

amargasaurus cazaui

There are a few things I might consider. If you can determine ownership for the animal I would speak to its owner and ask them to contain it. Failing that, and if it is an option, I would contact your local animal control officer. This is what they are paid for and they could either remove the cat, or offer some suggestions. Failing those two course of action, a fast way to annoy felines that seems effective and is cheap.....sprinkle the area with ground white pepper, either by dissolving it in a water spray soloution or just tossing it about. I am a cat person myself, but animals that are left to run and create issues for others are not being given the attention and supervision they should have.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Metallisuchus

Put a large container of water in front of the window.

Seijun

Thanks for the suggestions. I will also try white pepper mixed with water.
I have met this particular cat before in the daytime and he is INCREDIBLY sweet, absolutely loves attention, so he could be trying to get into the house just to be with me, not that that is any safer for my bird.. He has also tried to get in through the front door when I come home from work! I dont know who owns him, he has no collar. Where I live it is very common for people to have outdoor cats with no collars, but we also have a high population of strays. He usually hangs out with a very fat grey tabby, also with no collar. Both are in clean, healthy condition. I have contemplated putting a collar on him with a message like "if you own this cat please call XXX". I have also been thinking about taking him to a local no-kill shelter. He needs a loving home if he doesn't have one.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.