You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Soot blocked the sun for 1-2 years after K-Pg Event

Started by Simon, August 22, 2017, 05:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

https://phys.org/news/2017-08-dino-killing-asteroid-earth-years-darkness.html

Excerpt:

"Tremendous amounts of soot, lofted into the air from global wildfires following a massive asteroid strike 66 million years ago, would have plunged Earth into darkness for nearly two years, new research finds. This would have shut down photosynthesis, drastically cooled the planet, and contributed to the mass extinction that marked the end of the age of dinosaurs."

PaleoMatt

That is definetley one of the lower estimates I've heard. I've heard some say up to 500,000 years!

stargatedalek

Quote from: PaleoMatt on August 22, 2017, 11:36:20 AM
That is definetley one of the lower estimates I've heard. I've heard some say up to 500,000 years!
500k years is just silly, anything over 5 years is a stretch but 1-2 definitely is the safe bet.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.