News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur Library

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, June 06, 2012, 01:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Thought I might show a few of my favorite books since that seems to be a popular concept . I will post more where time allows.

That old piece with Burians work is stunning.
A few of the newer Sauropod works for those that enjoy them as much as I do.

[attachment msg=11071][/attachment]
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

amargasaurus cazaui

Regarding the copy of "Oceans of Kansas " I pictured, I was able to meet the author, Michael Everhart and have him dedicate my copy to me in April. I was able to learn that he served as one of the consultants for the Newer model Carnegie Tylosaur, so I also had him sign it as well.
This is him with a massive Tylosauarus model be brought for the show, as well as with the book .

[attachment msg=11072][/attachment]
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

sauroid

excellent collection of books.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

amargasaurus cazaui

I couldnt resist posting this when  I saw the forum had a member named Gwangi. Neat comic book !!\
Since I was posting dinosaur comics, figured I might as well add these as well. These are some older comics, but I just love the cover art and retro look to them.

Gwangi

Very cool! I didn't know there was a Gwangi comic book. I have a copy of the VHS, still need to get the DVD.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Gwangi on July 11, 2012, 12:17:27 AM
Very cool! I didn't know there was a Gwangi comic book. I have a copy of the VHS, still need to get the DVD.
Yes I love that old movie. I think my copy is sadly VHS. I did post the comic for your benefit so glad you noticed it, thanks. It is generally offered at some point on ebay and is not that outrageous given its age, yet.

Gwangi

Thanks for sharing it, I just love old dinosaur movies. I'll have to keep an eye out for it on eBay.

Roselaar

Excellent collection(s) here! That comic art is awesome!

BTW, am I wrong in assuming there were no giant sharks like that during the Mosasaur ages? Megalodon only died out a few millions years ago, right?

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Roselaar on July 11, 2012, 02:11:22 PM

BTW, am I wrong in assuming there were no giant sharks like that during the Mosasaur ages? Megalodon only died out a few millions years ago, right?
I am not that certain about sharks myself, but I had thought they existed clear back into the fossil record to at least the Cretaceous if not further. The book Oceans of Kansas speaks alot about various sharks he discovered or remains he recovered , although to me it seemed like he named other species than megalodon.

Gwangi

Sharks date back over 400 million years, to the Silurian period I believe. Megalodon lived between 28 and 1.5 million years ago. I don't know of any shark that reached the size of megalodon back in the Mesozoic but I know there were some that at least reached the size of modern white sharks.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Roselaar on July 11, 2012, 02:11:22 PM

After I responded I kept thinking, what sharks? So I went back through the pile of comics I had pictured. IN ocean-going animals there were two covers that had some version of an Elasmosaur or similar, and one that seems to resemble a shark biting a gun off of a battleship, but inside we are given the story and better pictures and it seems to be a mosasaurus type animal. I had deliberately not pictured several of the books from that set, as they showed more extant but gigantic type animals...i.e. massive crabs etc. These all appeared in a title called Star Spangled War stories over a space of some years back in the sixties. In the storyline , the war is being fought on an island inhabited by massive dinosaurs etc, as you can obviously tell. Nowdays they are a pricey idea to try collecting, I was fortunate to acquire mine about 25 years ago, when they were still reasonable.I also still lack many issues of having the complete set, but pictured some of the "funner" covers.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.