News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Smokers and Dinosaur Figures.

Started by Takama, July 09, 2012, 06:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Ok, I am not a smoker, but my Mom and her new boyfreind are.

and they smoke inside the house. Is this bad for my figures?   

Now theres nothing i can do to get them to stop, and moveing out is relly not a option for me yet.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on July 09, 2012, 06:23:20 PM
Ok, I am not a smoker, but my Mom and her new boyfreind are.

and they smoke inside the house. Is this bad for my figures?   

Now theres nothing i can do to get them to stop, and moveing out is relly not a option for me yet.

Well it can make them smell like smoke. It would be great if they would go outdoors on a porch or something to smoke. The second hand smoke can also harm you..perhaps that would at least get them to change location for you ?  You could also open a window to get air flowing more..not sure what else would help.

Takama

Now i occasionally Wash off some of my figures.  Would that take off the smoke smell?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on July 09, 2012, 06:35:26 PM
Now i occasionally Wash off some of my figures.  Would that take off the smoke smell?

I think after it sits awhile the material absorbs it. Not sure washing would help or not. :/

This might help : http://www.getridofthings.com/odors/get-rid-of-smoke-smell.htm

DinoToyForum

It could potentially cause discolouration or smother them in a tobacco residue.

I moved into an apartment where the previous occupants had been smokers and there was an awful residue of stinky orange crud over all the surfaces. Venetian blinds were a bad idea - it took us forever to clean them.  *yuck*  Even after thorough cleaning, numerous times, the smoke smell never disappeared completely.

brontodocus

I have often bought used figure lots that smelled like an ash tray. :P I've put these into open boxes on the attic and fortunately the smell always disappeared - although very slowly, it may take months. By the way, for all smokers there's still the option to go outside (or on the balcony).

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Takama

Dr Admin, What kind of discoloration do you mean? Like turning lighter?  or Yellowish

Seijun

It will cause the figures to yellow with prolonged exposure, especially any white or light-colored items.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

DinoToyForum

Libraraptor

Used books and second hand dinosaur figures are terrible when they smell like cold smoke. I know they do, because I buy a lot of both.

Takama

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 09, 2012, 07:19:42 PM
Yeah, a dirty yellow-orange  :-\

so far none of my figures have such a color on them

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Takama on July 09, 2012, 10:44:25 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 09, 2012, 07:19:42 PM
Yeah, a dirty yellow-orange  :-\

so far none of my figures have such a color on them

It accumulates slowly over a prolonged time, and you might not notice it. Depends how much smoking is taking place too.

deanm

Won't help the figures but there is special sealant primer paint that can be used to seal the tar/nicotine away between its layers. Works well but be careful of the yellow tar deposits when applying as they are quite nasty from a chemical toxicology persepective.

amargasaurus cazaui

If I were faced with similar, I would purchase one of those units that filters the air, removing smoke and residue and place that in the room with the collection. Having said that, if they are smoking indoors much at all, it doesnt take long to smell up the stuff and its hard to get rid of. Sometimes packing the items in a sealed plasticware tub with either potpurri or cinnamon sticks can mask the scent at least.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.