You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Lowering arms of Papo Baryonyx - Would it work?

Started by IrritatorRaji, September 29, 2017, 10:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on September 30, 2017, 08:01:48 PM
Whatever it's inaccuracies may be, it's a far more believable and much less egregious stylisation of a Baryonyx, than Papo's running rex is of a tyrannosaurus (and jurassic park isn't an excuse because the rex in JP did not look so un-natural), not to mention the weird ape/dragon/1998 zilla thing that is the Allosaurus (about which people seem quick to rave). Baryonyx is one of my own favourite dinosaurs, yet as much as I'd love a genuinely scientifically accurate figure of it, I'm still able to appreciate Papo's monstrous yet superbly sculpted depiction, as easily one of their best theropods and a darn impressive figure to have in the collection.

In terms of being true to the real animal, I think the Papo Baryonyx is as bad as the Papo running T. rex.  I think the Papo Allosaurus is better than both in this regard, but I don't like it either and I agree with your "weird ape/dragon/1998 zilla thing" sentiment.  In terms of ugliness though, I find the Papo running T. rex is much uglier than the Papo Baryonyx and Allosaurus.  I'm surprised people use the Papo running T. rex so often in the diorama/photography contests, I find it just spoils what would otherwise be nice photos.  But that's just me.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Sim on September 30, 2017, 09:06:07 PM
Quote from: Silvanusaurus on September 30, 2017, 08:01:48 PM
Whatever it's inaccuracies may be, it's a far more believable and much less egregious stylisation of a Baryonyx, than Papo's running rex is of a tyrannosaurus (and jurassic park isn't an excuse because the rex in JP did not look so un-natural), not to mention the weird ape/dragon/1998 zilla thing that is the Allosaurus (about which people seem quick to rave). Baryonyx is one of my own favourite dinosaurs, yet as much as I'd love a genuinely scientifically accurate figure of it, I'm still able to appreciate Papo's monstrous yet superbly sculpted depiction, as easily one of their best theropods and a darn impressive figure to have in the collection.

In terms of being true to the real animal, I think the Papo Baryonyx is as bad as the Papo running T. rex.  I think the Papo Allosaurus is better than both in this regard, but I don't like it either and I agree with your "weird ape/dragon/1998 zilla thing" sentiment.  In terms of ugliness though, I find the Papo running T. rex is much uglier than the Papo Baryonyx and Allosaurus.  I'm surprised people use the Papo running T. rex so often in the diorama/photography contests, I find it just spoils what would otherwise be nice photos.  But that's just me.

Sincerely Papo's baryonyx (like all papo figures excellently detailed) is not the one that convinces me the most. I really like tyrannosaurus running (it's one of my favorite figures) although it's also a paleontologically incorrect figure.

As for the allosaurus is one of the best in the dinosaur toy market.

Without pretending to offend anyone as it is only my modest opinion as a collector of toy dinosaurs, I think the tyrannosaurus rex running from this excellent brand is much prettier than the baryonyx from the aesthetic point of view that does not stop having many followers said figure in the forum and I deserve all the respect of the world, but my opinion is that tyrannosaurus dissenting from this opinion is much prettier than baryonyx as I have already repeated.

That is not to say that I find a notable improvement in the present Papio theropods of this year (acrocanthosaurus, cryolophosaurus and ceratosaurus).

tyrantqueen

QuoteI'm surprised people use the Papo running T. rex so often in the diorama/photography contests, I find it just spoils what would otherwise be nice photos.  But that's just me.

No, it's not just you. I dislike seeing it so much as well. In my opinion it's a very overrated figure.

Simon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 30, 2017, 09:45:59 PM
QuoteI'm surprised people use the Papo running T. rex so often in the diorama/photography contests, I find it just spoils what would otherwise be nice photos.  But that's just me.

No, it's not just you. I dislike seeing it so much as well. In my opinion it's a very overrated figure.

Both are basically fantasy figures of monsters that are based on real animals.  They are not anatomically accurate and are butt-ugly to look at to boot.

In short, they have no redeeming qualities, in my eyes.  8)

Silvanusaurus

Evidently, as one would reasonably expect, everyone has their own equally valid disposition towards papo's figures. At the end of the day, the most important thing is we can all agree that the Schleich baryonyx is the best rendition of that species.  8)  ;)

Irritation

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on October 01, 2017, 11:20:23 AM
Evidently, as one would reasonably expect, everyone has their own equally valid disposition towards papo's figures. At the end of the day, the most important thing is we can all agree that the Schleich baryonyx is the best rendition of that species.  8)  ;)
So, how did you fix the Baryonyx?

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.