News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Evolution of Giant Flightless Birds

Started by ZoPteryx, October 14, 2017, 04:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

A new study suggests that there was an evolutionary connection between Gastornis and kin of the Northern Hemisphere and the dromornithids (aka: mihirungs, aka: demon-ducks-of-doom) of Australia.  They are united in the clade gastorniformes, which was found to just basal to galliformes (gamebirds).  So perhaps mihirungs should be renamed demon-quails-of-doom.  ;)    Of course, this relationship means that their last common ancestor was capable of flight.

The study also looked at several other archaic birds.  South America's Brontornis was found to be related to the terror birds, contrary to other claims, and the Antarctic Vegavis was found to be a bit farther from crown-waterfowl than previously believed.

Good article on the study:
https://theconversation.com/new-research-reveals-the-origin-of-australias-extinct-flightless-giants-the-mihirung-birds-85394

Open access paper:
http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/4/10/170975

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Wow, what an incredible paper, thanks for sharing  :)
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

Ravonium

Thanks for showcasing yet another interesting find within the evolution of birds.

ZoPteryx

Papi-Anon

Funny, in the Final Fantasy franchise, chocobos were based partly on Gastornis, but still looked like baby chickens with severe gigantism (the yellow ones, anyways).

I hope this means more paleoart of Gastornis with more fowl-like plumage, maybe a crest or waddle too.
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.