You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New member, my Aurora Prehistoric Scenes collection

Started by acroray, June 27, 2012, 09:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acroray

Hello!  I'm a new member, and primarily a fan of retro dinosaur plastic kits from the 60s & 70s.  Recently, I've been focusing on my Pyro/LifeLike/Lindberg collection, but I thought I'd show off some photos of an exhibit of Aurora's Prehistoric Scenes dinosaur kits I presented at a local toy museum a couple of years back:

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc181/AcroRay/Prehistoric%20Scenes%20at%20Kruger%20St%20Toy%20Museum/

I'll be posting about my Pyro/LifeLike/Lindberg interests, along with some bits & pieces I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Gwangi

Great collection, I especially love that terror bird. I never even knew most of this existed but I was aware of the Aurora kits. The red Tyrannosaurus is really cool too.

sauroid

welcome acroray. cant wait to see your collection.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

DinoToyForum

Libraraptor

Roselaar

Looks fabulous! I remember seeing some of these in Dark Shadows. They're just deliciously retro.

Crackington

Fantastic collection Acroray,

Auroras were my first dino love and I had many of the models as a lad (including the rare Jungle Swamp) but they were unfortunately thrown out when I left home (grrr!). Since re-discovering dino models in the late 90s, I've managed to get a few of the Revell re-issues, the Dimetrdon, Ankylo, "mini-dinos" as well as an original Cro-Magnon Man. However, with limited space I can't really get any more (will have to dream about a lottery win so I can get my own "museum" to collect them).

I have really enjoyed your photos and love the paint job on the Phorusrhacos. Thanks for sharing!

By the way, have you come across this Aurora fan site: http://www.tylisaari.com/prehistoricscenes/main.htm? Its great and has a wonderful gallery of built and painted kits.

acroray

Quote from: Crackington on July 02, 2012, 09:46:08 PM
Fantastic collection Acroray,

Auroras were my first dino love and I had many of the models as a lad (including the rare Jungle Swamp) but they were unfortunately thrown out when I left home (grrr!). Since re-discovering dino models in the late 90s, I've managed to get a few of the Revell re-issues, the Dimetrdon, Ankylo, "mini-dinos" as well as an original Cro-Magnon Man. However, with limited space I can't really get any more (will have to dream about a lottery win so I can get my own "museum" to collect them).

I have really enjoyed your photos and love the paint job on the Phorusrhacos. Thanks for sharing!

By the way, have you come across this Aurora fan site: http://www.tylisaari.com/prehistoricscenes/main.htm? Its great and has a wonderful gallery of built and painted kits.

Hi, Crackington! Sorry it took me a while to get back to the forum!

The paint job on the giant flightless bird is actually from the Aurora shop itself.  That's a company hardcopy of Bill Lemmon's original sculpt for the kit.  It was painted probably to be used as a photography model, or as a model for whoever did the package art.  The piece is one of only a handful of Prehistoric Scenes prototypes known to have survived.

I do know about the Prehistoric Scenes site, and I am also a member of its forums as well.  ;D  You'll see a couple of my pieces in the site's archives.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Crackington

Wow! So that's the original Phorusrhacos! It is of course very like Ray Harryhausen's bird from "Mysterious Island" and I guessed that was inspired by Charles Knight's iconic image. Some of the other models were also clearly inspired that way with the Triceratops straight out of "One Million Years BC"! Once again thanks for sharing Acroray I'll have to vist the Prehistoric Scenes website again soon!

Great paint job on the Rex Blade of the Moon, here's a couple of snaps of my Ankylo which I attempted to paint a few years back:

You can also just see the Revell Mini Styracosaurus in the bottom left hand corner!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Nice paint on the Anky. The sculpt reminds me of the Definitely Dinosaurs one...cool. ;D

CityRaptor

The Aurora Anky however came first. The Anklyosaurus is also the only one re-released by Revell to not get a Mini Version made ( okay, the Mammoth aswell, but hey there are too many of those out there anyways ), but I guess that can be more or less fixed with the Dinoz Ankylosaurus:
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Crackington

That's so cute! My eldest daughter is asking if its a Lego toy?

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Crackington

amargasaurus cazaui

I had purchased some of the Revell release of these kits back late eighties early nineties I think but was not aware of the minis. Can someone explain them a bit better please?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Crackington

Yes, Revell  made 6 very small, but still "snap-tight" models around 1994. They are tiny versions (i.e. most smaller than Kaiyodos!) of the big kits: T-Rex, Allosaurus, Triceratops, Styracosaurus, Pteranodon and the Dimetrodon.

Not sure how widely distributed they were, definitely in the States and I think in Germany too. I got mine on-line from the Old Links and Pins shop and from an American collector. I spent a couple of years tracking them down and they are nice little models, albeit a bit fiddly to build.

I'll post a photo of my ones soon.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.