News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Palaeo Book Collectors

Started by sauroid, February 23, 2018, 07:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

book collectors:
1. how important is condition to you when buying used books? are you particular about certain physical condition of the book? would you prefer it to be like new/near mint? what's the most acceptable condition would you go for when buying used publications?
2. how do you store your books? are they exposed and stacked in a shelf? or are they inside some kind of protective plastic?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

ceratopsian

It depends on what the book is.  If it's a paleoart book, I want it absolutely pristine if possible. I hate it if the corners of the book are a bit bumped and crumpled.  But that doesn't rule out second hand if that's the only way it's available (i.e. out of print!)  Same if it's a hardback where the illustrations are important and it's important to me.  But if it's a paperback where I really just want the information from it - e.g. a popular account of some aspect of dinosaurs like Egg Mountain - then I'm less particular. I wouldn't mind second hand and a little bit of creasing on the spine.  But there are limits: I wouldn't want it completely battered and dog-eared, it needs to look respectable.

My books are on open shelves, with the occasional flick of the duster.  I have blinds at the window to protect my study bookcases from the afternoon sun (it's a bright room).  I don't keep anything in plastic.  If I had old comics or something of that sort, I would definitely go for  protective coverings (archival quality only) within archival-quality boxes.

I keep my original paleoart paintings framed and out of the sun.

Chad

I'm pretty relaxed about my paleo books. As long as it's reasonably clean I'm good. They're on an open shelf in my guest bedroom/den but on the high shelves so my cats won't vomit on them. I recently moved to a house from a cramped NYC apartment and now that I've seen all the books together, I'm kind of shocked how many I have. I think you'll find everyone who responds in this thread will have a different answer as collecting is a very personal endeavor.

--Chad

Halichoeres

I only buy paperbacks when there is no hardcover edition and I don't usually buy anything with a cracked spine. I want it to look nice, but I'm not concerned that it be mint, since I use my books pretty extensively (though gently). I don't store them in plastic or anything, but I noticed now that I live in a more humid area (I used to live in a desert) that some of my larger books begin to warp at the fore-edge after some time on the shelf, especially if they're housed next to smaller books. I'd love to hear suggestions on preventing this.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.