You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Can bootleg dinosaur figures be reviewed on the DinosaurToyBlog?

Started by Prehistory Resurrection, February 26, 2018, 12:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prehistory Resurrection

Hello everyone in this new post. I have recently got a lot of dinosaur figures, but one of them is a bootleg model(Not the original one, for example, a bootleg dinosaur figure referenced from Schleich.) I have a bootleg figure of the baby Woolly Mammoth baby from CollectA. Can I still review it? Thanks in advance and think if bootleg models can be reviewed on the DinosaurToyBlog. From my personal view, I think it would be good, because we can have a comparison between the original and its copy. We can also make a special page on the DinosaurToyBlog only for bootleg figures. But, this is my personal view only. Do let me know if I can review the bootleg baby mammoth and think of the topic. Let me know of your opinion. Thanks in advance and for your attention.

PumperKrickel

deleted

Prehistory Resurrection

Oh, I see. Thank you very much for sharing your opinion. I think we must wait until one has the original baby wooly mammoth from CollectA to review, I think also that creating a separate page for bootleg models is also a good idea.

stargatedalek

There are already numerous reviews of bootlegs. So long as the original has already been reviewed so as this can be properly noted I don't see an issue with it.

Ravonium

I would say it's fine as long as the bootleg can be easily attributed to a certain company (which is already not the case with most bootlegs) and the bootleg is of a figure that has already been reviewed (which I don't think is the case here).

Quote from: SuperiorSpider on February 26, 2018, 12:30:46 PM
I don´t think proper reviews of bootlegs are a good idea. It´s basically free advertisement for the bootleg companies, which might boost their sales and in turn hurt companies like Safari or Collecta financially.

To be fair, a majority of bootlegs out there are obviously inferior to the original model, especially those of Safari, Collecta and Papo, so I don't think the reviews giving 'free advertisment' to the bootleg companies should be an issue. I do agree though that the legal implications of reviewing a bootleg should be looked into.

Quote from: SuperiorSpider on February 26, 2018, 12:30:46 PM
Maybe a separate section dedicated to showing how one can spot a bootleg might be a good idea, but I don´t know if something like that could lead to legal troubles.

I agree that a section like that is a good idea, but I don't think it should be a legal issue as long as the section is clearly portraying bootlegs negatively.

PumperKrickel

deleted

Halichoeres

One effect of the blog, I think, is to promote and publicize the hobby. It's definitely free press for toy producers and probably makes modest impacts on their sales. For that reason, I don't really like the idea of bootleg reviews on the blog, because I don't think bootleggers should get any help. That said, I think it's up to Dr. Admin ultimately, as the editor. I know there are reviews for Salvat figures, which are out-of-production bootlegs, although there's at least some historical interest to those, and in any event they are all bootlegs of figures which are likewise now out of production.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Ravonium

Quote from: SuperiorSpider on February 26, 2018, 06:15:43 PM
If a potential review would have to be negative by design.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily that they have to be negative by design, but rather that most of the reviews will be negative (for similar reasons) inevitably, that makes reviewing bootlegs pointless.

Reptilia

Personally I'm not in favour of reviewing bootlegs, as a matter of principle.

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Megalosaurus

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Syndicate Bias

i mean its up to the admin here. personally im very particular about my figures, any scratches and if its a bootleg quickly make me not look into it. Not because i care about hurting a company but because i don't like having a fake figure or model on my shelf

SidB

As previously mentioned, Salvat did make a few appearances on the DTB. However, these reviews were an exception to an unspoken rule, and never an exception that became the rule.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.