You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Orchids & Steggies Display Update n 27, 2021

Started by Tylosaurus, January 27, 2021, 03:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tylosaurus

Hey all :)

A new topic from me, something many would see not coming from my end, but early this morning around 07:30 AM worked u had breakfast and decided to give them Steggies, Orchisds, Dragons and other animals I have had for the past 20+ years, a good clean up is often of need.

Took are of the orchids was  slow progress 18 plants now, over 250 flowers and to make things more pretty gave the windows a clean as well and the window shelf.

So here the photos of all the Dino, Dragon & Animal toys all gathered on my coffee table:

Here the Crystals:

And here all the orchids after their treatment, gave them fertilizer and moved all the dead flowers and damaged leaves, twas about 3 hours or work, it's a delicate process, but pays off of course :)

After all that I placed everything back but with some slight changes on what goes where, so here the result:

And from my seat's view it' looks very colorful:

Here all the Steggies, Dragons & Crystals up close:

Tylosaurus

Here all the orchids as these are part of the display:

And here the other animal toys & Dino's which are on display in my bedroom

That PNSO Chunkingosaurus is one I bought via acro-man via this forum, was a while back though :)
Anyways enjoy the photo's everyone, this was a fun thread to do and well thought I'd show something from my side, might have to collect more Steggies some day, bet I missed out ona lot, the PNSO Chungkingosaurus is my latest one, no idea when that came out tho or left alone when I even bought it.

Somethings I just have forgotten over time, but then again always happy to have posted something decent here again :)
But gladly I do remember somethings and that is all I need tbh.

So rock on, enjoy the things you do and stay safe DTF friends.

ceratopsian

Tylosaurus

Quote from: ceratopsian on January 27, 2021, 04:34:24 PM
That's a fine display of orchids.
Thanks man, it's a lot of work to take care of them heck I even talk to them, seems to help, but hey it's a good trade ya know, after giving them good TLC they give you flowers in return and ls of them!

Bokisaurus

Hey there, it's been a long time!😂
Glad to see you posting again. Wow, those orchids are just amazing and they have grown much since you last shared photos of them.
Hope you're doing well, don't be a stranger!
😃

JohannesB

Nice to see your collections, and a lot of work there, both cleaning and caring. I have a few orchids myself too, and they even enjoy themselves, despite the fact that I live in Norway, where it is freezing cold half of the year. You like best Dendrobium and Palaenopsis, I see? I have mostly Phalaenopsis, Paphiopedilum and one pot with Cymbidium. They all bloom regularly, which is always a joy to see after a period of no blossoms.

As an great liner enthusiast I couldn't help but also notice your nice picture of S.S. Nieuw Amsterdam :-)

Tylosaurus

Quote from: Bokisaurus on January 27, 2021, 05:28:01 PM
Hey there, it's been a long time!😂
Glad to see you posting again. Wow, those orchids are just amazing and they have grown much since you last shared photos of them.
Hope you're doing well, don't be a stranger!
😃
Hey Boki hah damn I have not s you in like ages well for most people here, sorry for being out of the scene for such a long time, so much has been going on  it was at this early morning During the cleaning I thought this would be a good ide for a new topic at y three favorite forums  STS, Dinosaur Toy Fourm & Dino World so here I am , I guess I mised out on tons of releases for the past what 5 years if not more?

Wonder if Acro-man is still around, the same for Sepp, Blade-of-The-Moon, David Krentz and so many others, good to be back for that part.
I just hope everyone is doing well here and that none of you got infected by covid, I guess the quarantine days kind of got me back to old hobbies I will try to post more and maybe get back to collecting dino's again, would be fun  :)

Quote from: Failed archaeologist on January 27, 2021, 05:33:06 PM
Nice to see your collections, and a lot of work there, both cleaning and caring. I have a few orchids myself too, and they even enjoy themselves, despite the fact that I live in Norway, where it is freezing cold half of the year. You like best Dendrobium and Palaenopsis, I see? I have mostly Phalaenopsis, Paphiopedilum and one pot with Cymbidium. They all bloom regularly, which is always a joy to see after a period of no blossoms.

As an great liner enthusiast I couldn't help but also notice your nice picture of S.S. Nieuw Amsterdam :-)
Hey thanks for the kind comment  man :) And yes that is the  S.S Nieuw Amsterdam, was a gift from my father he sailed wth the Victory Ships from 1965 to 1969, the S.S. Averdijk was his best experience the trip to Vancouver in 1967 that was  :)
As for the scientific names of my orchids  I rarely know my bad tho for the past 12 years I have been keeping them alive and they help me keep my mind away from bad thoughts.
There I take some Ginger Lemon Infusion Tea and sit and gaze at my orchids and just have a relax moment every ow and then the Steggies Dragons & Crystals add more color to the display to make it more complete.

Made this shot of it for you, it's hand painted:

Nederland Amerika Stoom Maatschappij / Holland Amerika Lijn S.S Nieuw Amsterdam, Rotterdam, 1936

Tyto_Theropod

Welcome back! :)  I don't think we talked much back in the day, but it's always nice to see the 'old guard' again, especially now I'm sort of becoming one of them myself...

This a really nice display with all your beautiful orchids.  Much as it makes you a weirdo to assign feelings to a lump of plastic, I can't help but feel your Stegosaurs must appreciate the greenery. ;)  I'm moth orchid fan too, although I only have one and it probably needs repotting.  However, I managed to kill off my last two, and this one has survived me for three or four years now and flowered loads in that time, so I'm worried about interfering with it.  I've been on and off both forum and hobby for quite long periods myself, and I'm trying to change up my collection into something that I can properly enjoy again, and reorganise my display.  Maybe I'll steal your idea!
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Tylosaurus

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on January 28, 2021, 02:27:26 PM
Welcome back! :)  I don't think we talked much back in the day, but it's always nice to see the 'old guard' again, especially now I'm sort of becoming one of them myself...

This a really nice display with all your beautiful orchids.  Much as it makes you a weirdo to assign feelings to a lump of plastic, I can't help but feel your Stegosaurs must appreciate the greenery. ;)  I'm moth orchid fan too, although I only have one and it probably needs repotting.  However, I managed to kill off my last two, and this one has survived me for three or four years now and flowered loads in that time, so I'm worried about interfering with it.  I've been on and off both forum and hobby for quite long periods myself, and I'm trying to change up my collection into something that I can properly enjoy again, and reorganize my display.  Maybe I'll steal your idea!
Hey  I don't think I remember you though, my bad if I don't :X
But many thanks for your kind comment and hey go for it man  sharing idea's why not :)

Most of my orchids have been with me for a good 10+ years, had 34 at some point 7 survived from a leaf infection this was 12 years ago rofl! :))
But trial by error surely t me where I am now, also helpful books that can give you golden tips for growing these and keeping them healthy,you learn mostly by gaining experience, t's how I did it tbh.

Still love Stegosaurids tho, but Acro's have really gotten my main attention these days, Carcharodontosauridae I believe they are referred as, as their family order goes, I am trying to remember things :D

JohannesB

Tylosaurus, thank you for your picture of the ocean liner and thank you for the nice story about your father and how he travelled on many of the ships of the NASM. My grandfather was a construction worker on a small shipyard at Capelle aan den IJssel, and he had the honor of often going on the first "test sailings". I myself have only been on an ocean liner once: the last existing "true" big ocean liner, that was still sailing at the time, namely the Queen Elizabeth 2. It was a short trip, and we never went over the ocean, just between a few ports in Europe, ending in Amsterdam. I have a fascination for ocean liners, and Titanic especially, starting when Robert Ballard discovered the wreck in the 1980's. I try my hand at painting sometimes, and I painted RMS Titanic a few times. Maybe I can post a few images here, if wanted.

Anyhow, take care of yourself and keep on collecting! :-) Cheers, Jan.

P.S. This must be one of the best Carcharodontosaurus toy models I have ever seen. It still isn't available though... https://www.dinohazard.com/product-page/carcharodontosaurus-toy-standard

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: Tylosaurus on January 28, 2021, 02:48:50 PM
Still love Stegosaurids tho, but Acro's have really gotten my main attention these days, Carcharodontosauridae I believe they are referred as, as their family order goes, I am trying to remember things :D

Yes, they are currently classified as Carcharadontosauridae, along with Giganotosaurus, Concavenator, the eponymous Carcharodontosaurus, and some other less well-known ones.  They're a pretty impressive lot that included some of the largest terrestrial predators known to have existed. 

If you're interested in branching out and collecting other family members, I highly recommend Eofauna's Giganotosaurus, reviewed here: http://dinotoyblog.com/2019/02/04/giganotosaurus-eofauna/
You can get it at Urzeitshop, which would probably be easiest for you as you're in the Netherlands, and at Everything Dinosaur.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Tylosaurus

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on January 28, 2021, 03:39:15 PM
Quote from: Tylosaurus on January 28, 2021, 02:48:50 PM

Yes, they are currently classified as Carcharadontosauridae, along with Giganotosaurus, Concavenator, the eponymous Carcharodontosaurus, and some other less well-known ones.  They're a pretty impressive lot that included some of the largest terrestrial predators known to have existed. 

If you're interested in branching out and collecting other family members, I highly recommend Eofauna's Giganotosaurus, reviewed here: http://dinotoyblog.com/2019/02/04/giganotosaurus-eofauna/
You can get it at Urzeitshop, which would probably be easiest for you as you're in the Netherlands, and at Everything Dinosaur.

Hey thanks for the advice! And yea I know Everything Dinosaur.co.uk big time!. My friend Mike Wally runs the place he is also one of my admins at my old Paleo & Dino collecting community at FB, he and I and some others run the place, when it comes to dino's I always buy via him :)
Just dm'ed him last night of the three I plan on getting, fees strange coming back but in a good way  8)

The Dinosaur Toy Forum is also well known in my community as well the Dino Toy Blog is very loved for the detailed toy & models it has, so GG there :)
As for Urzeitsshop, yea I sopped there as well a few times, even so I prefer Mike's store instead :)

Tylosaurus

This morning I found 4 other models to clean that are this lot:

Left:
Favorite Models "Spinosaurus aegyptiacus" (2012) Scale 1:40
Dinostoreus ilophosaurus (2006) Scale 1:35

Right:
Papo "Dimetrodon limbatus" (2013) Scale?
Bullyland "Edaphosaurus pogonias" (2009) Scale 1:30

Here thetwo Synapsids neatly  8)

And here the two Theropods neatly cleaned:

Halichoeres

Hey, good to see you back on the boards. Always a pleasure to see your display. I'm sure your steggies are very happy with their surroundings. :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Tylosaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 29, 2021, 11:38:59 PM
Hey, good to see you back on the boards. Always a pleasure to see your display. I'm sure your steggies are very happy with their surroundings. :)
Hey thanks man , cool to see you still around too and now as a Social Media Team member, interesting, you do the You Tube Section for the DTF or?
As for the Steggies they are gonna receive new Buddies soon, yes I have returned for some dino collecting madness, but not only Stegges this time  Giggies, Acro's & Reggies also are going to join in for the funs

Yea got my own derpy names for certain dino's xD

Stegosaurids --> Steggies

Tyrannosaurds --> Reggies, T.rex = Reggy afterall xD

Acro's = Acrootje's & Giga's = Giggies.

But yea more variety this time, I will make a review of each dino receive as I have dome with my Boeing 747's like here as Gold Leader at the DA.C forums:
https://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/1-200-scale-model-aircraft/321502-my-37th-b747-ual-b747-123-n154ua-jc-wings.html

At this moment I have 38 diecast  scale 1:200 B747 models, with a 39th in transit, the LM B747-406 PH-BFA  "City of Atlanta"
What I really missed was collecting dino's, so I thought why not combine both interests, one month I do some dino reviews eevry two months and a B7 every other two months, but on and off.
or example February a Dino review  March a B747 review, April a Dino review and May a B747 review and so on the pattern continues till I run out of space lmao

And this new method will give more variety in what items I collect over time, but anyhow I will be around a bit more often, well I'll try to keep my threads well detailed as I did in the past.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Tylosaurus on January 30, 2021, 09:36:26 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on January 29, 2021, 11:38:59 PM
Hey thanks man , cool to see you still around too and now as a Social Media Team member, interesting, you do the You Tube Section for the DTF or?

I mostly just tweet links to each review from the DTB/DTF Twitter account. Occasionally I tweet other things that I think would be of interest.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.