News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Have you ever experienced burnout?

Started by tyrantqueen, June 05, 2018, 12:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roselaar

Quote from: dinotoyforum on June 05, 2018, 03:27:52 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on June 05, 2018, 02:26:15 PM
I'm experiencing it at the moment, though for different, more personal reasons. I just find I enjoy all the things I really enjoyed previously (including dinosaurs) far less right now, because I'm doing it all alone... I'm working on it, but's it's not easy. This life. :'(

So yeah, good time to bring out JW2, BotM and all the new models from our favorite companies...

:'( You're not all alone, you have us! (But I know that's not what you meant).

Thanks, but yeah, that's not what I need. It's "real-time" people I need to mingle with more.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Roselaar on June 05, 2018, 02:26:15 PM
I'm experiencing it at the moment, though for different, more personal reasons. I just find I enjoy all the things I really enjoyed previously (including dinosaurs) far less right now, because I'm doing it all alone... I'm working on it, but's it's not easy. This life. :'(

So yeah, good time to bring out JW2, BotM and all the new models from our favorite companies...

You have to cheer up life many times it has ups and downs and you know where you have me in my case.  :D

ITdactyl

I'd like to thank everyone who shared their experiences... 'helps me deal with my funk.

The hobby feels more like a fight lately - a fight with import rates and hoarders, a fight with the weather, a fight with responsibilities ("you spent $ on that?"), a fight with other people's perceptions (grown man collecting plastic dinosaurs, 'must be something wrong).  There's this tiny voice that says, why do I have to go through all that for a hobby?

But reading through fellow collectors' posts still brings me joy.  Cleaning, rearranging or repainting my collection still makes me happy.  And I've since shared the sturdier figures from my collection with the kids in the family (I've learned to keep my Shapeways and Kaiyodo collection safely out of reach).  I'll probably take it further and take your advice - to downsize the collection a bit.  Now... which figures to keep? :D

Bokisaurus

;) Since my finance is limited these days, and also wanting more species, to counter act the feeling of stagnation, I started to play around with sculpting my own figures ^-^
It's just another way to engage my interest and hobby. Soon, I hope to share some of these sculpts. I already shared one, the Bramatherium that was posted in my collection thread.
So, just appreciate your collection, and be engaged, sooner or later, the enthusiasm will come back!
Cheers! :)

ceratopsian

Quote from: ITdactyl on June 06, 2018, 05:09:06 PM
I'd like to thank everyone who shared their experiences... 'helps me deal with my funk.

The hobby feels more like a fight lately - a fight with import rates and hoarders, a fight with the weather, a fight with responsibilities ("you spent $ on that?"), a fight with other people's perceptions (grown man collecting plastic dinosaurs, 'must be something wrong).  There's this tiny voice that says, why do I have to go through all that for a hobby?

But reading through fellow collectors' posts still brings me joy.  Cleaning, rearranging or repainting my collection still makes me happy.  And I've since shared the sturdier figures from my collection with the kids in the family (I've learned to keep my Shapeways and Kaiyodo collection safely out of reach).  I'll probably take it further and take your advice - to downsize the collection a bit.  Now... which figures to keep? :D

I know what you mean about import rates!  But please don't feel you have to fight other people's perceptions.  They really don't matter.  I'm turned 60 and I simply don't care what people think if I enjoy buying toys for myself.  I've also found that if you present it to people as an absolutely normal activity and "life choice", they are that bit less inclined to look askance.  If you feel embarrassed about it, they will detect that and play on it!

Huntsman

If You wanna call it a burnout ...
Another hobby  of me is  wargaming with plastic soldiers in  1/72, and I collected and painted  lots of them (also for my friends), until I  realized that I could never deal with them all. I really was paralyzed ... didn't take  up my brushes for a month or so :)
Meanwhile my friends paint their armies by themselves, and I mustn't have every shiny battaillion in an army :)
Body count: 34/28 species

ITdactyl

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian , thanks for the kind words; I totally agree.

stegosauria

I think a similar burn out happened to me with nature films. Even as a kid I always liked to watch them. And yeah at once while I chose what films I want to watch when the film started I just didn't care that. My boyfriend suggested I should watch some comedies not just nature films and documentaries. I think that helped with my quite depressive mood too.

So my idea would be to do something else you enjoy too. When my first oral language exam wasn't a success I visited some zoos for example. Or you can go to a trip, museums, a dance school.

And I wouldn't sell any of my figures but maybe you can put your figures into boxes. All of them or just a part of it.

I hope your enthusiasm will return to you tyrantqueen.

Huskies

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 06, 2018, 07:21:19 PM
Quote from: ITdactyl on June 06, 2018, 05:09:06 PM

I know what you mean about import rates!  But please don't feel you have to fight other people's perceptions.  They really don't matter.  I'm turned 60 and I simply don't care what people think if I enjoy buying toys for myself.  I've also found that if you present it to people as an absolutely normal activity and "life choice", they are that bit less inclined to look askance.  If you feel embarrassed about it, they will detect that and play on it!

I am totally agree. In addition to collecting dinosaur figures, I also enjoy working on model kits and collecting stamps. I know some people will think that those are for kids and not for grown man but for me, it is my life that I enjoy. I am not trying to win their approval because at the end of the day I care about my happiness, not theirs. If the figures I have can make me some money, that is great; if not, I enjoy looking at it and owning it.

Regarding burn out, yes I experienced it before. Typically, I just move to my other hobbies for a while before returning. I know that I have been a big fan of prehistoric life since I was very young and will always be a fan till I die. The thing that I always remind my self is that I don't have to own every models and figures. So far it works very well for me. The rising prices for statues, model kits, and figures also help together with available space in my home.

Syndicate Bias

Im about to any moment now because four of my dinosaurs warped. 2 i didn't care for since they aren't models they were just silly terra battat dinos that were gifted to me, i expected their already pliable plastic to bend. But my Carnegie Giganotosaurus is now having issues standing but its one small push away from falling over and the papo Spinosaurus is on its claws now.

Oh well, at least i have Rebor's Spinosaurus to replace it. Was gonna do anyways but now that its leg is warped just whyyyy me ugh. I think after i receive my last couple of papos and rebor figures im done collecting dinosaurs and investing in a refrigerated showcase. I can't even display my Shane Foulkes Giganotosaurus or Concavenator 😭 im deathly afraid to use them as they are resin based and they aren't  as easily replaceable as the other four dinosaurs mentioned.

Having that said i think im gonna take a break and store everything away even if its hot I'd rather have them stored and not standing around having their weight warp their legs further

Ceratosaurus

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on July 01, 2018, 09:21:55 AM
Im about to any moment now because four of my dinosaurs warped.
I'm glad I haven't had to deal with anything like that. If it gets to the point where you are out of options you could always try the hairdryer/freezer method to set it in a more stable position. It worked for me when I had a couple figures that were a little off. I was able to set the legs of my Rebor Ceratosaurus to fit the footprints on the base. It was a common issue but it's held up well since.
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Shonisaurus

Im about to any moment now because four of my dinosaurs warped. 2 i didn't care for since they aren't models they were just silly terra battat dinos that were gifted to me, i expected their already pliable plastic to bend. But my Carnegie Giganotosaurus is now having issues standing but its one small push away from falling over and the papo Spinosaurus is on its claws now.

Oh well, at least i have Rebor's Spinosaurus to replace it. Was gonna do anyways but now that its leg is warped just whyyyy me ugh. I think after i receive my last couple of papos and rebor figures im done collecting dinosaurs and investing in a refrigerated showcase. I can't even display my Shane Foulkes Giganotosaurus or Concavenator 😭 im deathly afraid to use them as they are resin based and they aren't  as easily replaceable as the other four dinosaurs mentioned.

Having that said i think im gonna take a break and store everything away even if its hot I'd rather have them stored and not standing around having their weight warp their legs further

That is due to the climatic conditions that your country suffers or the place where you reside. Fortunately, in my case, the only problems that I had in my day were with the columbita's agustinia and paraceratherium and with Papo's spinosaurus, which I will replace with a new one in urzeitshop.de Everyone became sticky and that's what I take care of in my case dinosaurs and prehistoric animals as the apple of my eye.

It is very difficult to keep in perfect condition a more or less extensive collection of dinosaurs and prehistoric toy or resin or vinyl animals and I recognize that this is frustrating. I put myself in your place.

ceratopsian

Im about to any moment now because four of my dinosaurs warped. .....

Sorry to hear this.  It's always upsetting when you realise something is keeling over.  It's horribly - and unusually - hot at the moment where I am and has been for days.  Perhaps the hairdryer treatment when conditions have returned to normal might help?

Syndicate Bias

Thanks guys I'll give it a go, I read up that the spino has standing issues most of the time so i think its not too bad. It can still stand but i have to play with the positions sometimes. Sadly im not even in a relatively hot place either but it seems high 70s lower 80s are enough to warp some figures which i didn't expect since my areas never reaches past high 80 degrees Fahrenheit unless its a bad summer day.

ceratopsian

My Safari Spinosaurus developed standing issues without being exposed to high temperatures. I think it is inherently prone to tipping. This is probably true of some other models and all you need for tipping is the passage of time. High 20s is heatwave level for me. However, I think it can get a lot hotter in rooms that get sun during the day. Some of my rooms are.like ovens today.

Syndicate Bias

Yea. I guess I'll have to invest in those plastic supports like i did with my vitae giganotosaurus to keep it from bending

Gwangi

My legs of my Carnegie Giganotosaurus are pretty badly warped too, but it still stands. My Papo Spinosaurus is also warped, and leans forward on its hand. It's definitely one of those frustrating things that comes with this hobby. I try not to let it bother me anymore.

Syndicate Bias

Ha i see you have the same issues with those two. I heard the Spinosaurus has a few bad batches where it leans on its claws like ours. The C. Giga i have still stands but one small push and it falls.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.