News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Saltriovenator, the oldest large theropod

Started by Logo7, December 23, 2018, 02:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logo7

The nomen nudum Saltriosaurus has finally been published after twenty years as the new genus Saltriovenator zanellai ("Zanella's Saltrio hunter"). Its genus name originates from Saltrio, the area of northern Italy where it was discovered, and the Latin word "venator," meaning "hunter." Its species name originates from Angello Zanella, the amateur paleontologist who first discovered the animal's skeleton. The new paper describing it classifies it as a ceratosaur, confirms that it is the first Jurassic dinosaur from Italy, and reveals that it is the oldest known ceratosaur and the oldest known large theropod (defined as a theropod with a mass approaching 1,000 kgs). It also helps to suggest that the fourth finger of early theropods disappeared as they evolved, with the three fingers of Saltriovenator and later theropods eventually leading to bird wings. Here's a skeletal of the new animal from the paper showing the known material and the bones used to describe it, along with a reconstruction of the animal by Davide Bonadonna.

Paper (open access!): https://peerj.com/articles/5976/?fbclid=IwAR0OWQuS59EtVyIKpX7uQEQY3bDhRd_JY4LTb9tBqyUjHpEEgvcyVo9xi4E#aff-2

amargasaurus cazaui

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Logo7

The paper states that "large theropod" means any theropod with a mass approaching 1,000 kgs. Herrerasaurus doesn't even come close to that weight. But you're right that I should have made that more clear in the announcement post. Will update accordingly.

Papi-Anon

Thinking back, the ambiguous archosaur Smok was believed by some to have been a primitive theropod with weight estimates clocking it in conservatively at 1,000kg. But interesting that it was a ceratosaur to be the first theropod to get that achievement trophy.
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.