News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eofauna vs Vitae Giganotosaurus skull?

Started by Jetdin, January 01, 2019, 08:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetdin

hi guys.
is the eofauna giga skull based on the latest reconstruction or the older elongated one?
how about the vitae one?
im planning to buy either one but may have the budget(at least for now) for only one.
the eofauna one looks really good but i am just wondering about the skull

Loon

The eofauna figure seems to have the older skull shape, but it doesn't seem 100% similar. The vitae figure is very much the new skull look.

PhilSauria

I also have read similar comments elsewhere in regard to the skull shape.

I'd like to buy both ideally but simply can't afford the Vitae unfortunately, but will be happy to have the Eofauna anyway, skull issues aside, which are not issues for me, as far as my appreciation of this figure is concerned.

Jetdin

okay , so then vitae has the more accurate skull.
as an overall model where realism is concerned, i think the eofauna captures the realism better, its just that skull..

spinosaurus1

Eofauna's giga is pretty much just a scaled-down version of the inaccurately reconstructed giga skull. the head to body ratio is correct, but the overall shape of the skull is the same as the elongated giga skull

vitae's version is closer to reality. the eofaunas figure is indeed very beautiful and more natural looking, but like you, it's just that giga skull that's so glaring on it for me.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Aren't we still missing a lot of Giga skull material?

spinosaurus1

this is all we have

other inferences are made via other relatives. there's really  nothing suggesting such an overtly elongated postorbital region of the skull

Jetdin

Really feel like choosing the vitae one, but the vitae one is also a bit large. In 1:35 scale it would be representing an animal thats almost 15m long, 2.5m longer than the largest known specimen

KeU

The Vitae skull is based on the most recent restoration.
However, the lack of the jugal prevents us from being 100% certain.
I would think the most recent restoration is more accurate since it is similar to closely related Theropods such as the Acrocanthosaurus.

With that said, there are still inaccuracies with the Vitae skull.
The chin is not squared off like what EoFauna has done.
And we definitely have material on the part.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.