News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Monster Hunter figures

Started by sauroid, February 16, 2016, 02:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

"Dragon" in the sense of Monster Hunter is an odd thing to quantify. It uses an in-game linnaean styled classification system where creatures are grouped with similar looking ones and sometimes immediate relatives, but that don't truly represent related groups. Some characters in the games will even comment on it being outdated and mention other things like some being wastebasket taxa.

Monsters in general are referred to as "wyverns" but this includes everything from giant iguanas, to theropods, to terrestrial crustaceans. It's used as a broad common term and not meant to suggest they are related.

"Elder Dragon" is a classification within the games, that specifically refers to animals that defy traditional classification. All of the six limbed dragons are here, but so are things like giant cephalopods and Kirin. It isn't strictly about defining a creatures strength level or even narrative presence, as some creatures in other groups are just as strong or serve as bosses narratively but are considered part of other groups, like the giant ape Rajang or Shen Gaoren the building sized hermit crab.

Whether any particular creature in Monster Hunter is a dragon is going to be up to how you want to define the term dragon. Six limbed reptile? Reptile with elemental abilities? Fictional big animal? Dragon can refer to any of these depending on the context the term is used in.

Monster Hunter leans slightly more sci-fi than it does fantasy, a least in my opinion. The creatures abilities are given scientific explanations and in many cases relate to their invented ecological niches.

Blade-of-the-Moon

This guy..girl? Pretty much checks off all my boxes for " dragon" which in itself as you said can be just about anything. At what point a dragon becomes a chimera i don't even want to guess.

DragonRider02

I never played MH but I have preordered Mizutsune for my dragon collection. It's one of the prettiest looking dragons I have seen. The Preorder here is estimated to ship in june though, so I have quite some time of waiting...

AcroSauroTaurus

Monster Hunter Figure Builders Vol.24

Espinas

Chameleos

Lucent Nargacuga

Shagaru Magala

Daimyo Hermitaur

Blood Orange Bishaten

Garangolm-clear version
I am the Dinosaur King!

AcroSauroTaurus

Not a figure, but I found the Monster Hunter World art book at a local game store recently.

I am the Dinosaur King!

AcroSauroTaurus

Monster Hunter Figure Builder Vol. 25

Scorned Magnamalo

Chaotic Gore Magala

Malzeno-bloodened version

Gold Rathian

Silver Rathalos

Gaismagorm

Gaismagorm-clear version
I am the Dinosaur King!

acro-man

Surprisingly good quality miniatures.
More surprising is that you bought a whole set.
I only saw them sold individually in gacha box
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: acro-man on October 26, 2023, 05:20:55 AMSurprisingly good quality miniatures.
More surprising is that you bought a whole set.
I only saw them sold individually in gacha box

You can buy the whole box of 6, I get mine online.
I am the Dinosaur King!

AcroSauroTaurus

Got the S.H.MonsterArts Tigrex recently.

With the enraged parts on.(arms and head)
I am the Dinosaur King!

AcroSauroTaurus

Monster Hunter Monster Collection Gallery

Rathalos

Malzeno

Furious Rajang

Gore Magala

Mizutsune

Magnamalo

Capcom Creators Model Alatreon

Monster Hunter Figure Builder Cube Malzeno and Amatsu

I am the Dinosaur King!