News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Canadian Dino sources

Started by Uncle Rex, September 03, 2016, 02:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Rex

I live in Atlantic Canada. Not many stores carry dino toys. Chapters Books and Toys R Us carry some Schleich figures and that's about it. Amazon ca is my source for Papo. Are there other stores that sell toy dinosaurs elsewhere in Canada? I have seen reference to Mastermind Toys and have checked their website. Information about other stores would be appreciated. I travel to Toronto from time to time and would be particularly interested in stores there, as I prefer to see the model in person before deciding whether to buy.

Flaffy

For online stores, I think FaunaFigures is in Canada.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Uncle Rex on September 03, 2016, 02:22:43 PM
I live in Atlantic Canada. Not many stores carry dino toys. Chapters Books and Toys R Us carry some Schleich figures and that's about it. Amazon ca is my source for Papo. Are there other stores that sell toy dinosaurs elsewhere in Canada? I have seen reference to Mastermind Toys and have checked their website. Information about other stores would be appreciated. I travel to Toronto from time to time and would be particularly interested in stores there, as I prefer to see the model in person before deciding whether to buy.

I live in Ottawa, but don't hold that against me, and our local Mastermind has a good stock of the latest Papos. Michael's Craft stores carry Safari Ltd dinosaurs, contemporary animals and mythical figures.

suspsy

I live in Ottawa as well. I love this city.

Fauna Figures is a good Canadian store, yes. Currently rather depleted, but I know Sean is working on getting restocked. Hopefully once CollectA sorts out their North American distribution, FF will have a good selection again. And if you spend more than $75, it's free shipping!

Michael's sells only a limited selection of Safari dinosaurs. The latest ones I've seen in stores are from 2012.

Hobby and Toy Central is based out of southwestern Ontario. They have the entire range of Safari dinosaurs, although some may not currently be in stock. They're also very good at replying back to customer inquiries.

Oh! And there's a really great little store called Game and Hobby Zone in downtown Toronto. It's located underground between the Bloor & Yonge and Bay subway stations. You may have to use the GPS on your phone to find it in that maze. They have a HUGE selection of Papo, Safari, and CollectA, up to and including the 2015 Feathered Tyrannosaurus rex. I bought a number of toys there back in July. If you go there next time you're in Toronto, be sure to check the shelves next to the cash, as they keep their boxed CollectA toys separate from the loose ones.

Hope that helps.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Doug Watson

Quote from: suspsy on September 03, 2016, 03:47:47 PM

The city is fine it's the Federal Government and what they do with our taxes that ticks off the rest of the country, especially the west since up to recently they were the only ones paying into the federation.

suspsy

Eh, that's the federal gov't for you. Always has been that way, always will be.

Here's a photo I took at Game and Hobby Zone. If only all stores were like this!

Doug Watson

Quote from: suspsy on September 03, 2016, 06:34:57 PM
Eh, that's the federal gov't for you. Always has been that way, always will be.

Here's a photo I took at Game and Hobby Zone. If only all stores were like this!

Too bad they aren't in Ottawa. Mind you it looks like they are using Safari Ltd bins for non Safari Ltd pieces, get your own dang bins!!!

Uncle Rex

Thanks to all who replied. You have given me several new sources. I want to start getting Collecta and Safari models. Will definitely try to find Game and Hobby Zone when next in TO. Can't wait!!

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on September 03, 2016, 03:47:47 PM

Fauna Figures is a good Canadian store, yes. Currently rather depleted, but I know Sean is working on getting restocked. Hopefully once CollectA sorts out their North American distribution, FF will have a good selection again. And if you spend more than $75, it's free shipping!

Michael's sells only a limited selection of Safari dinosaurs. The latest ones I've seen in stores are from 2012.

Hobby and Toy Central is based out of southwestern Ontario. They have the entire range of Safari dinosaurs, although some may not currently be in stock. They're also very good at replying back to customer inquiries.

Oh! And there's a really great little store called Game and Hobby Zone in downtown Toronto. It's located underground between the Bloor & Yonge and Bay subway stations. You may have to use the GPS on your phone to find it in that maze. They have a HUGE selection of Papo, Safari, and CollectA, up to and including the 2015 Feathered Tyrannosaurus rex. I bought a number of toys there back in July. If you go there next time you're in Toronto, be sure to check the shelves next to the cash, as they keep their boxed CollectA toys separate from the loose ones.

Hope that helps.

Thanks!

Yes, I run FaunaFigures, an recent developments have made getting newer CollectA really difficult (impossible for me) but it's supposed to improve. Mojo too, if you don't like good dino figures (but that's supposed to improve too). I can get Safari, and will likely be ordering that soon, when the 2017 comes in.

Also, assuming that Canada Post is finally done with its negotiations!

suspsy

Forgot to mention that Mastermind Toys carries the Papo line and they ship across Canada:

http://www.mastermindtoys.com/Papo.aspx?_outline=Theme--t11

Although for some strange reason, they've never gotten the Tupuxuara and the second miniature set in stock.

Uncle Rex

Suspsy, I was in Toronto this week and visited the Game and Hobby Zone. It's to be found on the lower level of a mall located at 2 Bloor St. West, right at the intersection with Yonge St. You weren't kidding when you described the area as a maze - took quite a while to find it. But it was worth the effort. Very good selection of dinosaur toys there. I ended up buying the WS Diplodocus (2017). The woman who was at the cash was quite knowledgable about dinosaurs. She said the new Safari stuff will be arriving next week - so I missed it by a few days. d'ooohhhh! I commented on the difficulty of obtaining Collecta dinosaurs and was surprised to hear that there is not much of a demand for them. The store is well stocked with extant animal figures, knights, dragons and other creatures, cars, airplanes and tons of games. I recommend it.

suspsy

Glad you finally made it there. I'd certainly like to visit that store again sometime myself.

A shame that CollectA isn't in great demand at the store, but I guess it's just not as well known a brand in Canada as Safari and Schleich. I'd never heard of them myself until I came across the DTB.

Digibasherx

I had an errand in the area and I made the stop to the Game and Hobby Zone.  I frequent the area and I never knew the stop was there, so thank you Supsy!  I have to say, they have a really great selection and the prices were decent for Toronto.  It was great to see all of the models in person, especially the sauropods.  It was easy to find, very close to Bloor Yonge station if you're taking the TTC.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.