You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Hoplitaspis, a new Ordovician chelicerate from Michigan

Started by Halichoeres, February 26, 2019, 09:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

The chasmataspidids are a group of chelicerates, possibly related to horseshoe crabs, though they somewhat resemble eurypterids. Here's a new genus and species, Hoplitaspis hiawathi ("Hiawatha's hoplite-shield"). For non-Americans, Hiawatha was a founder of the Iroquois Confederacy, a longstanding alliance of Native American groups that controlled much of the Great Lakes region before and during the British colonial period. This find suggests that the chasmataspidids were pretty diverse during the Ordovician, other genera having already been described from the same location.

A few of the nicer specimens (scale bar = 1 cm) 

A reconstruction (scale bar = 1 cm):

Paper appears to be open access, but as always pdfs can be had on inquiry: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186%2Fs12862-018-1329-4
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures