You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ichthyosaurs were uniformly low-drag

Started by Halichoeres, March 10, 2019, 01:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

This study uses data from dolphins to model the drag coefficient of ichthyosaur bodies during steady swimming. Perhaps counterintuitively, the authors find that basically all ichthyosaurs had low drag profiles, even quite early in their evolution:

That doesn't mean that other hydrodynamic improvements didn't occur, of course. This study doesn't really address the effect of changes in thrust (by adopting tuna-like locomotion) and maneuverability (by foreshortening the torso and tail).

paper is open access! https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/full/10.1098/rspb.2018.2786
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures