You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Imperobator, the Naze "dromeosaur" named at last

Started by Logo7, April 16, 2019, 02:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logo7

The Naze "dromeosaur," known from Late Cretaceous age remains discovered in the Snow Hill Island Formation of Antarctica in 2003, has finally been given a name, Imperobator antarcticus ("Antarctic powerful warrior"). The genus name originates from the Latin word "impero," meaning "powerful," and the Latin word "bator," meaning "warrior," and the species name originates from Antarctica, the country where the bones of the new genus were discovered. The holotype specimen consists of a series of bones belonging to a foot. Despite initially being considered a dromeosaur, the lack of a sickle claw and the paucity of the material only allow the new genus to be classified as an indeterminate paravian theropod until more complete material of the species can be found. The paper claims that Imperobator displayed gigantism on a similar level to Achillobator, Austroraptor, Dakotaraptor, and Utahraptor, but this is under dispute. Here is a reconstruction of the new genus by DeviantArt user cisiopurple and an image of the fossils used to describe the new genus, as well as a link to the paper describing it.

Paper (abstract only): https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195667118300120?via%3Dihub

Halichoeres

The one silver lining to the whole climate catastrophe is that as Antarctica melts it's going to spit out amazing fossils. Not worth the drowning of coastal communities and all the extinction, but...a silver lining.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

UtahraptorFan

That would be so cool if it wound up as a troodontid. So far, all of those named have been found in Asia and North America, whereas Dromaeosauridae is more widespread, also being known from Europe, South America, and possibly Madagascar, although Rahonavis has been classified in different parts of Paraves.
Guide to whether I use suffixes in clade references:
-If it has the unaltered name of a member genus, even a nomen dubium, include it. Examples: Tyrannosaurid, Titanosaurian
-If it has the name of a genus + sauria, leave it off. Examples: Ornithomimosaur, Oviraptorosaur.
-If it's not named for a genus, leave it off. Examples: Genasaur, Gravisaur.
-Exceptions to the 3rd: Maniraptoran, Saur-/Ornithischian

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.