News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Question about Battat dinosaurs

Started by tyrantqueen, August 31, 2012, 12:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

The Bullyland mammals were discontinued and then brought back again, do you think something similar could happen with the Battat dinosaurs?
Why did the Battat dinos go out of production anyway? Poor sales?

Would it be possible for another company to purchase the original molds and rights for these figures, and start making them again? Or I am just crazy? :P

If any discontinued line is worth it, it's this one XD

DC

Battat is a Canadian toy company based in Montreal that was trying to enter the figure market.  Mostly they had sold low end AAA or chinasaur products before.  They hired Dan LuRusso who had some work for SAFARI ltd and got an endorsement form the Boston museum.  The dinosaurs sold well and changed the market.  The reality of the market is small toy stores prefer companies that offer full lines of figures, jungle, fish, dinosaurs and even knights.  The non dinosaur lines did not do as well.  They had production problems the figures appear to have released from the mold too soon.  People brought them back and complained when they did not stand up.  There was also a major extinction of independent toy stores around this time that were their retail market.  There marketed their mini pantograph line at Toys R Us another turn off to independents.  I ask the owner a few years ago at the toy fair about it his version is that retailers were willing to pay for quality products.  The last release the small T rex got very little distribution because they were already dropping the line.
I have never seen a recast.  Molds may still exist but using them legally would mean resolving any licence claims by the sculptors and the Boston Museum.

You can never have too many dinosaurs

postsaurischian

Dan already clarified this somewhere. I just don't know in which category.
Maybe someone knows where to find the post.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.