You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

A new species of Cyamodus described

Started by Logo7, July 20, 2019, 02:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logo7

A new species of the placodont genus Cyamodus has been described from Late Triassic age remains from south-west China. The new species has been given the species name C. orientalis, with the species name originating from the Latin word "oriens," meaning "east," in reference to the location of this species in the eastern Tethys, while all other known species of Cyamodus are known from the western Tethys. The remains used to describe the new species are nearly complete, with only the forelimbs being missing. It is the first known Cyamodus specimen in the world that preserves a three-dimensional skull with an associated skeleton and extends the temporal and geographical distribution of this genus, with this species being found in the Carnian of the eastern Tethys. The existence of this species, which lived in nearshore areas and is extremely similar in morphology to the European Cyamodus compared to other placodonts in the region, suggests that there was greater similarity and more rapid intercommunication between the vertebrate fauna of the western and eastern Tethys than previously thought. Here are some images of the complete skeleton and skull used to describe the new species and a link to the paper describing it.

Paper (abstract only): https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14772019.2018.1535455

Newt

Jose S.M.

That's a beautifully preserved fossil, specially it's head.

Halichoeres

Another one I'd like to see from PNSO.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

Also Safari, Collecta and even Schleich could be encouraged to make this figure in PVC. Although perhaps the most suitable candidate is PNSO.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.