You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinomation: a new kaiju-style line of dinosaurs

Started by RobinGoodfellow, July 26, 2019, 06:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Yep. Fun fact: The Marvel Sauron actually named himself after the LOTR one.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 13, 2019, 07:03:01 PM
Yep. Fun fact: The Marvel Sauron actually named himself after the LOTR one.

Morgoth. He was thinking of Morgoth.

CityRaptor

Well, yeah. But Morgoth wouldn't work so well as a name for him, wouldn't it?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Over9K

I couldn't resist this... even at this price. The nostalgia is just too strong. Anyone else?

Over9K

I just got the alert this morning from Hobby Search that my Dinomation Tyrannosaurus has shipped! Love the boxart!

BBTS also has the Dinomation Spinosaurus up for Preorder, at $169.99 + $4 sh/h... so that might be a slightly less expensive way to go, compared to Sideshow, depending on how much Sideshow charges for shipping...

Loon

I really do not get the appeal of these...

Other than the pose, nothing about them is particularly retro. The heads, despite their warty look, are rather up to date in terms of the skull. They look more like Garbage Pail Kids Kaiju than any "retro" dinosaurs I've ever seen.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I like em' kinda like the CHIODO Bros dinos, but i dont like the size vs cost.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Loon on February 05, 2020, 12:11:44 AM
I really do not get the appeal of these...

Other than the pose, nothing about them is particularly retro. The heads, despite their warty look, are rather up to date in terms of the skull. They look more like Garbage Pail Kids Kaiju than any "retro" dinosaurs I've ever seen.

I actually like them a lot! They remind me of the deforeal Godzilla line which I would totally get if I had that type of cash.

Over9K

**shrug**

If you don't get it, you don't get it. I look at them and I see the dinosaurs of my childhood, which was many, many moons ago. When I was a kid, museums still mounted Tyrannosaurus tail down. Hell, when I was a kid, you could count the number of unique mounted T. rex specimens in the world on one hand!

When you went to a museum, if you saw a dinosaur, many times you saw this:

That's the Sinclair "Dinoland" Tyrannosaurus that was the centerpiece display of the Boston Museum of Science for decades. It has now been moved outside, replaced inside the museum by a modernized life-size life reconstruction of T. rex. For years, one of the Sinclair Triceratops sat outside the Natural History Museum at the Smithsonian in Washington D.C., but it has since moved to the National Zoo. They also made a Brontosaurus, a Corthyosaurus, a "Trachodon" (Edmontosaurus) and a Struthiomimus.

The oil company Sinclair originally created the Dinoland dinosaurs for the 1964 World's Fair, where they were animatronic, and moved. After the fair, demand was so high for the dinosaurs to be seen, Sinclair removed the animatronics, and toured the dinosaurs across the country. Eventually, Sinclair commissioned copies of the T.rex, the Triceratops and "Dino", the Brontosaurus, and the company's official mascot, to be made for display at various science museums and roadside attractions across the country.

I spent my whole childhood making twice annual visits to stand under that fat, ugly Tyrannosaurus, once in the late spring with school, and once in the early winter for my birthday. I was 29 the day I heard they were going to take him out, and replace him, and I was there for the final day he was inside the building, and I cried. Yeah, he was fat, he was ugly, and by then we knew he was wrong, but he was my first Tyrannosaurus. He had been nightmares, and dreams. All my life, I have wanted an accurate model of him, and nobody has ever made one.

The Gecco has the same feel as the Sinclair, and almost the same proportions, and I simply cannot wait the few days it will take for it to get here from Japan.

I moved away from New England a long time ago, and I haven't seen the Sinclair rex in 18 years. I really miss looking up at him.

triceratops83

There's STILL a Dinoland Rex and Triceratops at the Museum in Brisbane.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Over9K

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 05, 2020, 07:19:44 AM
There's STILL a Dinoland Rex and Triceratops at the Museum in Brisbane.

He's still in Boston. They just make him stand outside.

His fancypants modern sister gets to stay warm all winter...

... and she's wicked hot! I do love the new one. Arms are a bit beefy, but otherwise she's sexy AF.

When they first announced they were updating the display, people thought they were just going to dump the old rex and man, people freaked, so he got to stay... like the old white haired guy, that welcomes you to Walmart...

Over9K

Unboxed this beauty yesterday, and snapped some pics earlier tonight... I love it! I especially appreciate that they added magnets to his feet as a little added security, keeping him attached to the base, though he's perfectly capable of standing on his own without it...

Fenestra

It's a real fun piece, I like it, but the price of $170 is $100 too much for me. Especially with that simple brown paint.
That's just my opinion ofcourse.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I love the character of the piece, very reminiscent of the Chiodo Bros stop motion dinos.  The size, lack of it being a licensed tie in ( would have been cool to see in a movie ) and the price just isn't justified for me.  It could have been made , I think, and sold for 50-70.00 maybe half that if made from same a hollow vinyl instead?

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.