You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Cavinichthys, a new actinopterygian fish from the Cretaceous of Italy

Started by Halichoeres, September 30, 2019, 08:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

This paper will probably have to have some followups, as they clearly mean to name this new fish Cavinichthys pachylepis, but the paper also contains numerous references to "Cavinichthys pietrarojae". This paper describes a new genus and species, and explicitly calls the genus monotypic, so I think they must have changed their minds about the name at some point and missed some instances during editing? Anyway, the official name means "Cavin's thick-scaled fish," after Lionel Cavin, a prolific paleoichthyologist.

Here's the holotype, a nice complete fish 82 cm long. It's a pachyrhizodontid, so a distant relative of tarpons.

And an interpretive diagram of the head:

Open access in Thalassia Salentina: http://siba-ese.unisalento.it/index.php/thalassiasal/article/view/20985
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures