You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Teeth (& Beak?) of Camarasaurus

Started by ZoPteryx, April 05, 2017, 07:32:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

A relatively new paper that just became open access:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12542-016-0332-6

The authors' conclusions seem to make a lot of sense, but I wonder which is more likely, a beak or some sort of reinforced gums?

CrypticPrism

Yay, sauropod beaks! And on my favorite sauropod!
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

Sim

After reading this Dinogoss blog post on how beaks and teeth don't seem to occur in the same part of the mouth (http://dinogoss.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/youre-doing-it-wrong-birds-with-teeth.html), I'm not sure about calling this structure in sauropods a beak.  Perhaps "keratinous sheath" would be a better term to describe it.  Nigersaurus has been suggested to have a keratinous sheath on the front ends of its jaws since at least 2007.  I wonder if the structure being suggested in this paper about Camarasaurus would be the same that has been suggested for Nigersaurus?

Neosodon

The article called it a beak like structure. I've noticed this this structure in a lot of dinosaurs especially on ceratopsians which seem to have the closest thing to a beak. But it appears that scientists have not made an official name for it yet. So call it what you like it doesn't really make a difference.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

CrypticPrism

"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

Sim

Quote from: Neosodon on April 05, 2017, 05:23:18 PM
The article called it a beak like structure. I've noticed this this structure in a lot of dinosaurs especially on ceratopsians which seem to have the closest thing to a beak. But it appears that scientists have not made an official name for it yet. So call it what you like it doesn't really make a difference.

Ceratopsians do have beaks.  Additionally, as in other beaked animals, ceratopsians don't have teeth in the same area of the mouth as the beak.

GasmaskMax

So sauropods probably had lips and maybe beaky pointy do dads...COOL!

Dinophile

Oh my, I feel particularly dense....I can't figure out what this would look like ....would it present itself as a hadrosaur like a hadrosaur's mouth.  Does anyone have an illustration I can reference?
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

Newt

Interesting! Your link is still paywalled; do you have a link to the open access version?

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Newt on August 18, 2017, 12:10:20 PM
Interesting! Your link is still paywalled; do you have a link to the open access version?

;) Here you go: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/310765938_The_dentition_of_a_well-preserved_specimen_of_Camarasaurus_sp_implications_for_function_tooth_replacement_soft_part_reconstruction_and_food_intake

Quote from: Dinophile on August 11, 2017, 10:57:07 PM
Oh my, I feel particularly dense....I can't figure out what this would look like ....would it present itself as a hadrosaur like a hadrosaur's mouth.  Does anyone have an illustration I can reference?

Maybe a bit like this?  I honestly think it's anyone's guess at this point, but it probably wouldn't have resembled a regular bird beak.

Newt

Dinophile

Thanks for the illustration.... well it thoroughly makes sense for some animal that would have  browsed tons of of plant material- most plants are well protected with bark, thorns,
and other structures. Could you imagine what this creatures tongue would look like?
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

ITdactyl

Somehow I missed this 2017 discussion point.

'Necroposting because this bit is making the rounds now:
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/10/giant-sauropod-dinosaurs-may-have-sported-turtlelike-beaks

And yet in the 2 years that passed, I have not seen a lot of sauropod reconstructions with toothy "beaks".  Even the art used in the article uses the conservative lizard-lipped reconstruction.  If true, I wonder how this would look like - especially on the horse-faced diplodocids.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.