News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Can we talk about how cool Euphorbia are?

Started by brontosauruschuck, April 24, 2020, 06:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontosauruschuck

Here are some photos I didn't take:

I can't get over the variety of this genus, and how they all are kind of bizarre in their own way.

Here are some photos I did take.

Look how prolific this is. I love the offshoots that were actually growing in the pot, in complete darkness.

Crown of Thorns is such a great plant. It looks beautiful and does a really good job of making sure nobody messes with it.

I was never able to ID this species, but I'm fairly sure it's a Euphorbia.

And of course, the most famous Euphorbia is E. pulcherrima, AKA poinsettia. One of my favorite flowers to have around the house all year.

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Euphorbia are super cool! Such a great diversity in form, from succulents that look like cactus to more "typical" plants like a poinsettia and everything in between. Particularly interesting are the madagascan and south african species, all thorny and succulent. I personally have a Euphorbia buplurifolia and a Euphorbia "japonica" . Both look superficially similar to cycads or, when they get older and start branching, like bennettitales! 
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

Lanthanotus

While I agree, wouldn`t it be more accurate to call them Euphorbiaceae as these all share a family rather than a genus?

Smart-arse aside, I wasn`t aware the Christmas flower counts towards that family. Maybe that`s because I never succeeded in having these family of plants thriving. Always messing with the seasons and their needs in drier and wetter environment.

EarthboundEiniosaurus

avatar_Lanthanotus @Lanthanotus, looking at the pictures brontosauruschuck posted, the ones I'm able to identify are all in the genus Euphorbia. One of the reasons Euphorbia is so cool is because of its diversity, with something like 2,000 different and very distinct species in this one genus.
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

Halichoeres

They really are amazing plants. Thanks for the reminder that poinsettias are in the genus, very easy to forget that.

I think Euphorbia is a good illustration that 'genus' and other taxonomic ranks don't have any real meaning (clades are real, of course, and ideally named taxa should be too). Imagine how many families of theropods a dinosaur worker would have named based on the same amount of variation.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Lanthanotus

Quote from: EarthboundEiniosaurus on April 24, 2020, 06:08:43 PM
avatar_Lanthanotus @Lanthanotus, looking at the pictures brontosauruschuck posted, the ones I'm able to identify are all in the genus Euphorbia. One of the reasons Euphorbia is so cool is because of its diversity, with something like 2,000 different and very distinct species in this one genus.

Have to get my botany skills up to date, but for all the information available to me right now, you are right.... quite amazing indeed considering the variation. In fact I found one my garden aswell, they are not very numerous, but appear every year.

Euphorbia lathyris

Gwangi

I used to have a couple crown of thorns. I had them for at least a decade and then last year accidentally left them outside during a frost, that was the end. I'll never forgive myself for it, they had grown so tall and beautiful.

brontosauruschuck

Quote from: Lanthanotus on April 25, 2020, 09:49:06 PM
Quote from: EarthboundEiniosaurus on April 24, 2020, 06:08:43 PM

Have to get my botany skills up to date, but for all the information available to me right now, you are right.... quite amazing indeed considering the variation. In fact I found one my garden aswell, they are not very numerous, but appear every year.

Euphorbia lathyris

That grows locally where I live and I had no idea it was a Euphorbia. How cool!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.