You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New Quilled African dinosaur Discovered by Sereno

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, October 04, 2012, 09:26:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

http://news.yahoo.com/tiny-african-dinosaur-species-unveiled-011448836.html

This little guy is wicked !!! And check out all the quills !! Imagine he had this for thirty years and never mentioned it .

[attachment msg=20514][/attachment]
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gryphoceratops

Yeah a cool little find.  I'm friendly with the artist, Tyler Keillor, who sculpted the model of this little guy for Sereno.  Teehee I like the little comb structure they gave it on the snout.  Here is another link if anyone is interested. 

http://news.uchicago.edu/article/2012/10/03/dwarf-species-fanged-dinosaur-emerges-southern-africa

ZoPteryx

Balaur

Best dino ever found (excluding Yutyrannus and Sciurumimus) this year.  ;D

Jetoar

Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on October 05, 2012, 07:32:43 AM

I agree with you but the spanish hadrosaur is not bat ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Balaur

Quote from: Jetoar on October 05, 2012, 09:55:09 AM
Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on October 05, 2012, 07:32:43 AM

I agree with you but the spanish hadrosaur is not bat ^-^.

No, they are beautiful.  ;D

TheAllosaur

Did it really have that crest? So cool, a Porcupine Dinosaur.
Sereno is bound to find more!
Part-time genius!

ZoPteryx

Quote from: TheAllosaur on October 06, 2012, 03:59:24 PM

I think the quills are just speculation, based on its relative Tianyulong.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Zopteryx on October 07, 2012, 06:48:59 AM

No, the quills were actually found. A very cool dinosaur. I was beginning to think Paul Sereno had retired or something because he hasn't been mentioned in the news in almost 2 years. I am very glad he isn't, he is probably my favorite paleontologist.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Yutyrannus on October 07, 2012, 08:09:08 AM

No, the quills were actually found. A very cool dinosaur. I was beginning to think Paul Sereno had retired or something because he hasn't been mentioned in the news in almost 2 years. I am very glad he isn't, he is probably my favorite paleontologist.
A friend actually posted the paper about the dinosaur where it stated the quills were based off the fact Tianyulong had them. I have it over in the "Everything Psittacosaurus " Thread if you wanted to review the actual paper. If you got ahold of more information to confirm the quills would love to see it...can you post the source or where you saw it?I do have alot of commentary about the find over in the Psittacosaurus thread as well about this one, since he is quite similar to tianyulong . Either way I think its an awesome dinosaur and so glad Sereno got it done
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Yutyrannus

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Yutyrannus on October 07, 2012, 09:13:12 AM
It says it here.

Click Here.
I did look at that article, if you read it carefully it never actually states they found bristles on the fossil. He presumed it would have them based on Tianyulong, and he does give the impression he found them, but does not actually state it. In addition the paper on the dinosaur states clearly that the bristles were inferred due to tianyulong. I got confused the same way before Both Gryph and Wings made it clear for me as well. Although it is likely the dinosaur had them, there is no actual proof.

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: Yutyrannus on October 07, 2012, 08:09:08 AM

There is no evidence of quills found on this specimen.  Check out the actual paper. 

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.