News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Any good Megatherium models?

Started by GojiraGuy1954, February 04, 2020, 11:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GojiraGuy1954

I'm considering getting the Safari LTD one.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Shonisaurus

Honestly the best megatherium is that of Safari. There were also other megatheriums in traditional brands such as Schleich and Bullyland but they are discontinued and not as scientifically accurate as their Safari counterpart.

Regarding the Bullyland megatherium its size is very good but it has inaccuracies such as hooves, otherwise it is a great figure. In relation to the Schleich megatherium, it is a figure from my point of view a little unbalanced and I do not recommend it. In fact for me it was the worst figure of the group of prehistoric mammals of the Schleich brand next to their smilodon.

Schleich's megatherium is easily reachable in eBay stores, while Bullyland's is not as accessible.

SidB

Another point to add to the discussion - the Safari and Schleich ones are approximately in the 1/40 scale range, the Bullyland Megatherium closer to 1/30.

suspsy

The Safari Megatherium really is the best one currently available, and that's kind of sad. It's a great sculpt and it's anatomically accurate (although lately some experts have suggested that it had thinner fur), but it's pretty small. Certainly doesn't do proper justice to an animal the size of an elephant.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SidB

Quote from: suspsy on February 05, 2020, 12:00:18 AM
The Safari Megatherium really is the best one currently available, and that's kind of sad. It's a great sculpt and it's anatomically accurate (although lately some experts have suggested that it had thinner fur), but it's pretty small. Certainly doesn't do proper justice to an animal the size of an elephant.
It would be nice to see CollectA step up and make one in the 1/20 scale or thereabouts that they often do - at that scale it's heft and presence would be impressive.

RobinGoodfellow

Megatherium figures:

(Sean Cooper 1:30 / Safari Ltd / Bullyland / Schleich/ Geoworld/ Wild Republic/ Kaiyodo/ Colorata/ Marolin/ Starlux/ Marx/ J.H. Miller)

Maybe I forgot some minor brand but, more or less, they're what's available on the market..

Info:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157712972790038

:)

postsaurischian

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on February 05, 2020, 07:30:07 AM
Megatherium figures:
(Sean Cooper 1:30 / Safari Ltd / Bullyland / Schleich/ Geoworld/ Wild Republic/ Kaiyodo/ Colorata/ Marolin/ Starlux/ Marx/ J.H. Miller)

Wow! What a great overview. Can a request be answered more satisfyingly?

suspsy

Quote from: SidB on February 05, 2020, 02:14:06 AM
It would be nice to see CollectA step up and make one in the 1/20 scale or thereabouts that they often do - at that scale it's heft and presence would be impressive.

I'm surprised they haven't done so yet. We know for a fact that they'd do a splendid job. EoFauna would also nail it.

Maybe Papo as well.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on February 05, 2020, 11:20:26 AM
Quote from: SidB on February 05, 2020, 02:14:06 AM

I'm surprised they haven't done so yet. We know for a fact that they'd do a splendid job. EoFauna would also nail it.

Maybe Papo as well.

Nor should we forget brands such as PNSO or Favorite could make very good megatherium figures (maybe Favorite would not be so bright and I say it for the smilodon and mammoth primigenius that honestly do not convince me at all) but PNSO could make a good figure with a Detachable luxury base as we usually accustom that brand maybe in a future PNSO is encouraged to make prehistoric mammals even in its miniature range.

Loon

I may be wrong, but I feel like a prehistoric mammal, of any type, is highly unlikely for PNSO. Honestly, I don't feel like we're going to get a new one from Safari soon, as their prehistoric mammals seemt o still be selling well enough after nearly a decade and a half. However, I can see either CollectA or EoFauna making at least a version of a ground sloth, maybe not Megatherium, though.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Loon @Loon Yes, I think that a megatherium by PNSO is highly unlikely but dreaming is free. I totally agree with you the brands that can do it are Collecta and Eofauna, they are the two most likely candidates for a new megatherium.

On the other hand, if the sale of prehistoric mammals by Safari is not satisfactory, unfortunately it seems to me that we will not see a version of the paraceratherium of Safari, I see that you are informed.

suspsy

Yeah, if Safari does churn out a new giant sloth in the future, I reckon it'd be a different species from Megatherium. Which isn't a bad thing.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on February 05, 2020, 11:59:49 PM
Yeah, if Safari does churn out a new giant sloth in the future, I reckon it'd be a different species from Megatherium. Which isn't a bad thing.

A lestodon would be a good option to replace the lazy giant megatherium by Safari, for example or a glossotherium for another example.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.