You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Smithsonian/Master Replicas 1/10th Scale "Nation's T. rex Skull" Replica

Started by Over9K, September 28, 2019, 05:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over9K

This sweet, 6 inch resin skull, rendered from a High Resolution scan of skull of the Nation's T.rex (The Wankel Rex), in residence at the new $31M renovated fossil hall at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History, is available for pre-order from BBTS, for a 4th quarter delivery, at $59.99...

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/103101

Over9K

I don't know what's up, but BBTS has removed their listing for this item. It's still listed in my pre-order stack, but when I click on the listing itself, it's gone. I've made an inquiry as to what's up, but I've not heard back yet...

ZoPteryx

Over9K

Quote from: ZoPteryx on October 27, 2019, 07:45:48 AM
That's pretty cool!  A little pricey for the size, but cool.  ^-^

Actually, it's super cheap. 

Find another 1/10th scale, or in fact any other scale, T. rex skull that is based on a digital scan of a fossil, not just an artist's interpretive sculpt and see how much those are...

In fact, check out how much those 1/10th scale artist's sculpts are... I can't find a decent one for under $100...

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Over9K on October 28, 2019, 08:34:30 AM

Find another 1/10th scale, or in fact any other scale, T. rex skull that is based on a digital scan of a fossil, not just an artist's interpretive sculpt and see how much those are...

In fact, check out how much those 1/10th scale artist's sculpts are... I can't find a decent one for under $100...

True, but I do know a local furniture store that sells what appears to be an about 1/5 scale replica of Wankel the Nation's T. rex skull that, based on the detail, is pretty obviously based on scans of the original.  Granted it costs about $150 and is made of metal...

Over9K

Quote from: ZoPteryx on November 01, 2019, 04:28:26 AM

True, but I do know a local furniture store that sells what appears to be an about 1/5 scale replica of Wankel the Nation's T. rex skull that, based on the detail, is pretty obviously based on scans of the original.  Granted it costs about $150 and is made of metal...

Show me where to buy that please, because I'd sure like to!

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Over9K on November 02, 2019, 12:48:24 AM
Quote from: ZoPteryx on November 01, 2019, 04:28:26 AM

Show me where to buy that please, because I'd sure like to!

I've seen them at the Ashley HomeStore in Bozeman, Montana, don't see it on their website though, maybe just a local thing.  Guessing they got the scans from the Museum of the Rockies or from whoever made the metal skeleton of Wankel (aka: Big Mike) out front of the museum.

Over9K

Got my "Nation's T. rex" skull replica yesterday, and it's a very nice piece. I like having the option to have the skull displayed with either the mouth open, or closed, and the choice of whether or not to use the base. I still maintain that this is currently the most cost-effective way to have an accurate representation of an actual T. rex specimen in your collection.

There is one flaw, and I'm not sure if this would be across the entire run of these, or an isolated thing to my example, but one of the teeth on the left side of the lower jaw has a bit of a mushroomed tip. It looks to me like a casting flaw, almost like some casting flash was left behind after cleaning, and painted over. Otherwise, the skull is perfect, IMO, and I'm super pleased to have it in my collection.

Blade-of-the-Moon

That's pretty cool. Looks like you can have the fill size version for just over 9k.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Amazon just let me buy this for 46.89 with a 30% off clipped coupon, plus free prime shipping. FYI.

Loon

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 12, 2020, 04:27:58 PM
Amazon just let me buy this for 46.89 with a 30% off clipped coupon, plus free prime shipping. FYI.
Thanks for the heads up, just ordered one. This will be my first skull replica, hopefully this doesn't start a trend...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Loon on February 12, 2020, 11:47:16 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 12, 2020, 04:27:58 PM
Thanks for the heads up, just ordered one. This will be my first skull replica, hopefully this doesn't start a trend...

No problem, wish it took the same off the 1:1 version lol  I'd actually like specific skull replicas..right now I have a ..Favorite? Rex skull in 1:10 I think is modeled after Stan.  Much better than the general ones.

Over9K

Check this skull out, guys... picked this up at at a Pet Smart, on sale for $7.99. It's sold as terrarium/aquarium decor for reptiles and fish, by a company called "Exo-Terra", molded in a pet safe polyresin of some kind.

No jaw of course, just the cranium, and obviously a sculpt, but for less than 10 bucks, and something meant for pet decor, not scientific accuracy, I was pretty impressed. Whoever sculpted it actually cared about giving buyers a reasonably quality product. I definitely have lesser quality, more expensive decor dinosaur skulls on my shelf...

Blade-of-the-Moon

You know they make faux rocks and trees, ect.. large ones, for around a 100.00 or less. Why can't we get a life size Rex skull for about the same price?  Cheapest I've seen is a half skull made of a dense foam for 500.00

Over9K

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 13, 2020, 05:08:42 AM
You know they make faux rocks and trees, ect.. large ones, for around a 100.00 or less. Why can't we get a life size Rex skull for about the same price?  Cheapest I've seen is a half skull made of a dense foam for 500.00

I've been living in the hope that 3D printing technology will eventually allow life-size replicas to be inexpensive enough for me to own... I'd love a full scale skull kit... the individual bones, disarticulated. Grab the epoxy, and paint and build yourself a skull!

Blade-of-the-Moon

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.