You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Neanderthal Exhibit Ottawa ends January 26, 2020

Started by Doug Watson, January 12, 2020, 06:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Watson

I meant to post this a long time ago but forgot. If anyone lives in the Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada area or is planning a visit before January 26 there is a very interesting exhibit on the Neanderthal at the Canadian Museum of History. I only went myself this month that is what I forgot to post it here (I have gone twice). It is a joint exhibit between CMH and Muséum national d'Histoire naturelle – Musée de l'Homme (Paris). It has actual fossils that I had only seen in books or the interweb up to this point. There are artifacts made by neanderthal, famous artwork and of course it deals with the theories on their extinction and the evidence of neanderthal DNA in non-african Homo sapiens.
The exhibit also includes an amazing life sized full reconstruction of a female Neanderthal with a twist by world renowned paleo artist Elisabeth Daynès. Again the exhibit runs until January 26 and it is being described as a once in a life time North American experience since many of the artifacts are deemed to fragile to travel again. There are no other NA dates.
https://www.historymuseum.ca/neanderthal/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI29-mxdv-5gIVOffjBx1aUAm-EAAYASAAEgK1u_D_BwE

P.S. if you can't get here there is a nice little catalogue with pictures of many of the exhibit highlights available online here for $9.95 CAD https://www.historymuseum.ca/boutique/product/neanderthal/

suspsy

I've been to see this exhibit. Quite nice, especially all the artistic renditions of Neanderthals ranging from the late 18th century right up to the present. Really gives you a clear understanding of just how much our interpretations of our relatives have changed over time. I especially like how the exhibit notes how clubs came to be associated with cave people as a result of paleoartistic whim, and that there's no real basis for Neanderthals or any other early humans using them. Clubs are for warfare, not hunting.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

EmperorDinobot

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.