News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Sauropod question...

Started by darylj, September 18, 2012, 08:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Surplus killing is the behavior predators exhibit when they kill more prey than they can immediately use. They may partially consume, cache, or abandon intact prey. This behavior has been observed in zooplankton, damselfly naiads, predaceous mites, weasels, honey badgers, wolves, orcas, red foxes, spotted hyenas, spiders, brown bear, lynx, mink, and house cats. The term was invented by Dutch biologist Hans Kruuk after studying spotted hyenas in Africa[1] and red foxes in England.[2]

It is likely that this is a survival mechanism, the selection for aggressiveness toward prey being an evolutionary development toward becoming a more successful hunter.

SO basically practice hunting and STILL a reason for it, not just to kill or slaughter .......

I also am rather certain I stated in general...which is INDEED the case. Animals as I stated..do not GENERALLY tend to slaugher or kill just for the fun of it, which of course is true.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen