You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ornithomimus or the Birds: Who's the Real Mimic

Started by Avian, April 01, 2020, 09:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avian

Ornithomimus, an onithomimid dinosaur from the late Cretaceous of North America. Its name means "Bird Mimic", due to the fact that the animal appeared to be covered in feathers and have other anatamocial features with a resemblance to birds. However, the last ornithomimus died out 5 million years before the first modern birds. Does this make birds the real mimics? Share your opinion below, and your  answer may be featured on my YouTube channel in an upcoming video:https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCkMjlZSCPBnjRuXjx_ORaoA
You must understand the past before you can change the future.

WarrenJB

They're all just, like, ripping off Shuvosaurus, man.

austrosaurus

I think you might be missing a 6 somewhere in your post, since I highly doubt Ornithomimosaurs survived until the Pliocene  ;)

austrosaurus

Also, neither can be said to be truly "mimicking" the other, as their similarities are a case of convergent evolution rather than mimicry.

Gwangi

Quote from: austrosaurus on April 01, 2020, 11:59:47 PM
Also, neither can be said to be truly "mimicking" the other, as their similarities are a case of convergent evolution rather than mimicry.

That's what I came here to say.  8)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.