News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Creodonta

Started by fgh46, April 03, 2020, 01:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fgh46

Hyaenodon (Mojö Fun) vs  Andrewsarchus (CollectA), Prehistoric Life Toob (Safari Ltd)

Avian

Great figures! The CollectA Andrewsarchus is one of my favorites, and is a very good representation of the species. However, I believe that Andrewsarchus has been reclassified as a member of Artiodactyla, based on recent studies. I'm no expert, but the original classification of Mesonychid (subsequently in Creodonta) was based upon the original publications by Andrewsarchus' discoverer, but it shows no actual signs of being a mesonychid.
You must understand the past before you can change the future.

Shonisaurus

Congratulations on your collectible figures, the Collecta andrewsarchus is one of the best creodon figures ever made and the Mojo hyaenodon is an outstanding figure and I hope that in the future Mojo will continue to make prehistoric mammal figures. Furthermore the Safari andrewsarchus (thumbnail) is an almost exact copy of its oversized counterpart which is another remarkable figure.

austrosaurus

Yeah Andrewsarchus is no longer a creodont and hasn't been for a while iirc.

fgh46

Versions from Geovod, AAA and Safari

SBell

Andrewsarchus was until recently considered a Mesonychid--a group that was lumped as part of the condylarths.

But last I saw, Andrewsarchus has been identified as...an entelodont? Or something similar. At the very least somehow part of the artiodactyla.

Shonisaurus

A @austrosaurus The Andrewsarchus is of the Artiodactyla order while the Hyaenodon is of the Creodont order. I just found out through the internet search engine, I recognize that I am illiterate from the point of view of knowledge about biology and paleontology. Thanks for the correction, if you had not told me before I would have continued to believe that the andrewsarchus belonged to the creodont order.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.