News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Houston Museum of Natural Science (Houston, Texas)

Started by Loon, September 16, 2020, 10:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

In late 2018, I went out to Texas to see my sister. Since we were near Houston, I figured I had to go to the museum out there. And, boy, was it worth it.

The Houston Museum of Natural Science recently spent $85 million on revamping their Morian Hall of Paleontology and it shows. The entire museum was fantastic, but this area was the best. It had the best selection of prehistoric animals I'd ever seen, and was filled with Julius Csotonyi art. And, on top of all that, it's curated by Robert Bakker himself!

So, I got a lot of pics of this place, but not enough, unfortunately. There are quite a few things I really regret not taking photos of, so, hopefully, I'll get to do that one day soon. Even worse, I'm in a lot of these, I don't know why. So, if you can stomach an overweight nerd in an ill fitting Jurassic Park shirt, hopefully you'll enjoy the pics.

Dunkleosteus

Jaekelopterus model

Eurypterus

Plesiosaurus

Pregnant Icthyosaur

Tylosaurus

Gorgonopsid

Dimetrodon

Placerias and Smilosuchus

Postosuchus and Desmatosuchus

Allosaurus and Stegosaurus

Diplodocus

Caudipteryx & Sinosauropteryx

Psittacosaurus

I don't really remember what this was.

Deinonychus

Acrocanthosaurus glam shots

Triceratops skin impressions

I like to call this part, "Tyrannosaurus All the Way Down".

Stan!!!

Stan and Triceratops

T. rex and Denversaurus

Gorgosaurus and Edmontosaurus

"Diatryma" (Gastornis)

Some of the coolest and craziest taxidermy I've ever seen.

They also had a lovely Butterfly pavilion.

And finally, a Stegosaurus in the gift shop. Sounds like a children's book title. The gift shop was amazing, btw.

I've tried my best to keep everything in the order I remember it being, but, keep in mind, it's been a while since I went. Thanks to avatar_Nanuqsaurus @Nanuqsaurus, whose recent thread inspired me to finally share these pictures.

triceratops83

Awesome displays! I would dearly love to visit a museum of this calibre.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

irimali

Shonisaurus

It is a Beautiful Museum. It has a very varied set of fossils. The one I like the most of all is the smilosuchus, one of my favorite prehistoric animals. Thanks avatar_Loon @Loon  !!!!!

ceratopsian

Very impressive displays. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

I don't think I have ever seen a Stegosaurus mounted as standing it on its hind legs.

I presume a lot of the mounts were casts?

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: Loon on September 16, 2020, 10:07:42 PM
I've tried my best to keep everything in the order I remember it being, but, keep in mind, it's been a while since I went. Thanks to avatar_Nanuqsaurus @Nanuqsaurus, whose recent thread inspired me to finally share these pictures.

Happy to help! :) Seems like an amazing museum, I love the dynamic poses of the skeletons on display there, makes them look very natural. Thanks for sharing these pictures with us!

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

indohyus

Great looking museum! What did you get in the gift shop?

Libraraptor

Loon

Thanks everyone, I can't claim credit for all the pics though, my sister's boyfriend was responsible for quite a few, including the ones I was in, obviously.

Quote from: ceratopsian on September 17, 2020, 09:02:45 AM
...I presume a lot of the mounts were casts?

I can't really say for sure. But even still, they're display is incredible.

Quote from: suspsy on September 23, 2020, 05:02:13 PM
Three Tyrannosaurus rex mounts! Awesome!

Actually, I was wrong. It was only the two. The first and third picture in the Tyrannosaurus segment are the same mount.

Quote from: indohyus on September 23, 2020, 10:06:33 PM
Great looking museum! What did you get in the gift shop?

Just a shirt and that bag in the picture. I only took a backpack on the flight, so I didn't have a ton of space.

Halichoeres

I've been to Houston multiple times, but always for very short visits where I couldn't squeeze this in. Gotta get back one of these days. Ideally in winter.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.