News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Brontosaurus Morphs?

Started by ZoPteryx, October 06, 2012, 06:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

I was reading the Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs by GSP and happened to notice something interesting under the Apatosaurus enteries.  In the text, he refers to "Brontosaurus morphs" on several occassions; what is he talking about?  Is this similar to the robust and gracile (likely female/male) morphs of T. rex , or something else entirely? ???

wings

Quote from: Zopteryx on October 06, 2012, 06:40:13 AM
I was reading the Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs by GSP and happened to notice something interesting under the Apatosaurus enteries.  In the text, he refers to "Brontosaurus morphs" on several occassions; what is he talking about?  Is this similar to the robust and gracile (likely female/male) morphs of T. rex , or something else entirely? ???
I think Paul is referring to A.parvus, A.excelsus and A.louisae (see the word Brontosaurus in brackets, and his notes on the A.parvus entry, he mentioned brontosaurus is the shorter, narrower-necked version of Apatosaurus...) being the Brontosaurus morph whereas A.ajax is a different morph (form) to the rest (see the anatomical description for A.ajax which highlight the differences). This is probably different to the robust and gracile morphs because often these terms would normally be referring to animals of the same species.

ZoPteryx

wings

I've often found Paul's descriptions are rather vague and "less than useful" in most occasion for classification. Take this "Brontosaurus morph" for example, unless you have all/most of the skeletal of all the different species (i.e. A.parvus, A.excelsus, A.louisae and A.ajax) in front of you to make the comparison there is no way for you to distinguish these animals. Let's say you are lucky enough to find an isolated but complete Apatosaurus' hip and thigh, based on Paul's description, it would be close to impossible to tell the species apart (i.e. hips sail not especially tall. arm and leg long. Pelvis not as large as earlier apatosaurs). There are more "useful/solid" morphological (form) differences between these species (like the form of the neck ribs, A.excelsus has an extension in front of the neck rib where A.louisae doesn't. Or the shape of the shoulder blades, the distribution/shape of the hollow out areas on the vertebrae for example), however, you probably need to do a bit more digging around for info if you are really interested in these species.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.