You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kannemeyeriiform dicynodont from Antarctica

Started by Halichoeres, November 06, 2020, 06:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Today in the department of "what can you learn from mere scraps of bone?" An occipital plate (fragment of the back of the skull surrounding the hole where the spinal cord passes), a small piece of maxilla (upper jaw) and a single tusk comprise the most complete dicynodont known from the Antarctic Fremouw Formation. It's enough to identify it as a kannemeyeriiform (related to animals like Placerias and Lisowicia), but not enough to bear a name itself. It's also \evidence that this site is about the same age as a Cynognathus-bearing formation in South Africa, where related dicynodonts are found.

The occipital plate (scale bar = 10 cm):

Paper (paywall): https://doi.org/10.1080/02724634.2020.1829634
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures