You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Bakker's 1969 Deinonychus Sketch For Ostrom... Sculpted By Rookie Dino Creations

Started by Over9K, October 29, 2020, 06:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over9K

One of the most iconic paleo-images of the late 20th century, flying the flag for the dinosaur renaissance.

Special Thanks to Deviant Art user jigoku-no-son, whose Bakker-inspired watercolor painting informed the colors chosen for this sculpt.

Libraraptor

Nice and interesting sculpt. You probably know that Bullyland made a nice figure from this drawing, too?

Loon

Aside from the pose, I don't think it really captures the design that well. IMO, the mix of the bland green and the more boxy Jurassic Park style head makes it look like a Schleich Velociraptor.

Over9K

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 29, 2020, 12:05:30 PM
Quote from: Over9K on October 29, 2020, 06:42:33 AM
Special Thanks to Deviant Art user jigoku-no-son, whose Bakker-inspired watercolor painting informed the colors chosen for this sculpt.

Has anyone contacted her regarding this?
She doesn't seem aware of it and if she isn't, it might be plagiarism.
And in that case it would be once again a big company taking advantage of a small hobby artist which is not cool.

If she's not aware of it, then she doesn't read her Deviant Art messages, nor the Facebook posts where it was posted. She's been credited both places. And what "big company", this was a solo artist, creating a gift for me, his friend. I did not commission, nor did I pay for this. It was a totally unexpected gift.

Newt

Very nice model, your friend did a great job! The color scheme looks good on it. I first came across that drawing in the Dinosaur Heresies, a book I completely wore out as a juvenile paleo-nerd in the 80s. I always imagined that Deinonychus being muddy brown in color, a sign of my poor imagination and the state of paleo-art I'd been consuming up to that point. It's much prettier in green.

Duna

What a lovely present!
It looks fantastic, but in my opinion it does not look like Bakker's drawing. Maybe the pose reminds of it, but the head is totally different, and the bigger difference is that Bakker's deinonychus head is lower, looking straight to the front, and the snout is thinner.
Nevertheless, I really like it and the colors fit perfectly.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.