You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Looking for info about private ownership of fossils

Started by Loon, November 10, 2020, 03:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

Hi all, I'm working on a "letter to the editor" style paper for my writing class. I wanted to focus on a subject I'm familiar with, since I'm a little short on time (it's due Sunday), I figured I'd make it about the private ownership of fossils and how that is harmful to science. I have a few articles lined up as sources, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if anyone had any more sources they'd recommend for me to check out.

Thanks in advance.

Newt

Loon

Quote from: Newt on November 10, 2020, 03:58:16 AM
Here's an old SV-POW post on the topic.

Thanks, Newt. Definitely an interesting read. Though, I probably should have been more clear. Again, I'm not an expert on this topic, but I was thinking more along the lines of the guy who owns the "dueling dinosaurs" specimens. Where it's an individual who's trying to sell the fossils and not keep them in a museum.

Newt

If you don't mind a longer read, "The Dinosaur Hunter" may be of interest. It's got a good bit about the world of fossil dealing and collecting, and interviews from collectors, scientists, and others with diverse perspectives on the topic.

Loon

Quote from: Newt on November 10, 2020, 04:18:32 AM
If you don't mind a longer read, "The Dinosaur Hunter" may be of interest. It's got a good bit about the world of fossil dealing and collecting, and interviews from collectors, scientists, and others with diverse perspectives on the topic.

I'm only finding a fiction book by that name.

Newt

Quote from: Loon on November 10, 2020, 07:03:01 AM
I'm only finding a fiction book by that name.

That's probably because I misremembered the title :-\ It's "The Dinosaur Artist" by Paige Williams.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.