News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Hominidae:Primitive Man,Neanderthal,Australopithecus

Started by fgh46, September 01, 2018, 01:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fgh46

I propose here to stir everything about toys depicting cave people and ancient monkeys!!

bmathison1972

Just noticed this thread doesn't have any images.

Gigantopithecus giganteus (Just Play - Disney's A Jungle Book, 2016)
This figure represents the character King Louie from the 2016 live action/CGI Disney movie, A Jungle Book. Interestingly, King Louie did not appear in Kipling's original stories; the character was created for the 1967 animated film by Disney and was represented by an orangutan. Then the movie was remade in 2016, they changed the character from an orangutan to Gigantopithecus as orangutans do not occur in India, but Gigantopithecus did. If we accept my species-level identification of G. giganteus which lived in India (the other species, G. blackii, is known from China), it scales well with the other 'standard' big ape figures.

Evolution of Man, by Safari LTD (Safariology, 2014).
A couple of these are cartoony, I will admit, but it is a great chance to get 5 hominids in one set. The older Bullyland set is probably better, but hard to come by these days.

1. †Australopithecus afarensis
2. 'handy man', †Homo habilis
3. 'erect man', †Homo erectus
4. neanderthal, †Homo neanderthalensis
5. modern human, Homo sapiens sapiens

RobinGoodfellow

Australopithecus boisei (Kaiyodo)

Australopithecus afarensis (Kaiyodo)

Australopithecus afarensis "Lucy" (Kaiyodo)

Australopithecus  ( 1:32 ) (Clairet)

Australopithecus Couple  (Carnegie)

Bullyland

Takara Tomy

Papo

Collecta

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157659173738273/with/28078406000/

bmathison1972

Shonisaurus

B @bmathison1972 It is the best that was made and the most realistic from my point of view. Honestly, it's a shame that Bullyland has gone bankrupt. You can find it on eBay in Germany or in Europe at a more than acceptable price if you are so interested in it.

bmathison1972

Thanks Shonisaurus; I will stick with the Safari set for now, but may revisit it later as I revamp my synoptic collection.

Halichoeres

I bought that Safari set, not because I'm particularly interested in humans or other Cenozoic mammals, but because I loved the concept. I keep hoping Safari will do other sets like it for other interesting transitions, like tetrapods, turtles, or birds.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

fgh46

My primitive people: Zuru, Safari, Chap Mei and Lego!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.