News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Tyto's Other Stuff

Started by Tyto_Theropod, January 26, 2021, 04:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyto_Theropod

I'm aware that this is a long post and understand if you don't want to read it all.  However, if you're interested in dinosaur content that I may not post on DTF, please read the section in bold below.

For some time now, I've been gravitating towards dolls and dollshouses over dinosaurs.  I was afraid to admit this at first, even to myself, because as a cis female I'm aware that it's a more stereotypical hobby for a woman, and I don't want to be a stereotype.  I'm me, and through being me I hope I can promote the fact that women and girls, and indeed nonbinary folks, have every right to enjoy dinosaurs just as much as men and boys.  But then through being me, I guess I can also promote the fact that it's possible for someone to enjoy a variety of different hobbies.  I know that gender issues have created a lot of drama on this forum in the past, but I hope that in saying this I'm preventing more drama from being created rather than causing it.

I think what appeals to me about both doll collecting and dollshouses isn't the 'girliness' (whatever that may be), but the amount of different crafts involved, from sewing and knitting right through to sculpting and modding with craft knives, epoxy and airbrushes.  It covers a lot of things I enjoy doing, and it also means that often, the items in your collection are always works in progress to some extent and not just sitting on your shelf a lot of the time.  In my case, that really boosts my enjoyment of something as it keeps me interested and engaged with it.

Anyway, the year before last I suddenly got very nostalgic about my childhood Sylvanian Families toys and got them down from the attic, and then one thing led to another and I'm collecting them now.  For my most recent birthday I got a dollshouse kit to build for the otter family I've had since I was a very small child, and I'm excited to begin that!  I also recently got my first two Asian ball-jointed dolls and joined a forum dedicated to collecting them.

As this forum also relies on images hosted by other sites, it's encouraged me to finally come clean and start posting the other things I collect on my 'Tytonidae' Flickr account.  I already have an alternate one for my wildlife images, so I wasn't really up for making another one just to express a different aspect of my life as a crafter and collector.  That way madness lies! 

I'd still encourage people to look at my Flickr as well as what I post here, and I've tried to organise the albums so it's easy for people who are interested in just one particular aspect of what I do to find that and ignore the rest.  I thought this would be especially helpful for people who find dolls creepy.  I will also link to the full Flickr gallery for each repaint I post.

I'll post any non-dinosaur miniatures projects, etc., that I think people here will be interested in below.  Also, if you're interested in any of my other miniatures or crafts I've mentioned above, feel free to ask me for more info, and if you'd like pictures you can look at my Flickr, or let me know and I can post some here.

None of this is to say that I am stopping collecting dinosaurs - far from it!

Peace and respect, and stay safe.  Tyto out.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Tylosaurus

Always good to have varied interest and it doesn't have to matter  what it is, if you love doing what you are doing even if it's Dino's, Orchids, or Dolls or anything else
Just as long it makes you happy there is nothing anyone should have to say against it :)

I too have various interests alongside my Dino's  we all have them, well most collector I know have varied interests for them to gather an collect.
All I do try to avoid is not go too far so there is always enough breathing space for yourself.

Back when I collected Graphics cards & retro computer parts I had this hoarding issue,you hoard too much and you lose sight in what you actually have.
This really affected me in many negative ways, always something I try to pass on others, thereby hoping they n't make the same mistakes as I have, or selling things you don't want to sell all because it may bring up tons of coin I too did that and the result is never a good one either.

Collecting is fun for many but it can have it's dark sides

Hope ya do well with your new hobby though, was a nice read and thanks :)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.